2nd Annual Susan G. Komen North Texas Denton Race for the Cure on September 29th
DENTON, Texas, Sept. 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Thousands of people of all ages and abilities will gather at South Lakes Park in Denton, TX, for the 2(nd) Annual Susan G. Komen North Texas Denton Race for the Cure(®). The Denton Race for the Cure features a 1 Mile Family Fun Run/Walk, Competitive 5K, Casual 5K Run/Walk, Kids for the Cure activity area and 50 yard dash, the Elizabeth’s Garden tribute area, grantee health fair, and sponsor expo. Everyone is invited to come out on Saturday, September 29, 2012, and help raise awareness and funds in the fight against breast cancer. Online registration for walkers and runners is open until 5:00 p.m. on September 28(th) at komennorthtexas.org. Walk up registration on event day is open from 6:00 to 7:30 a.m.
We have several participation options for the Denton Race for the Cure. In addition to adult, youth, and senior registration, we offer Babies for the Cure in which registered infants receive a Race for the Cure feeding bib. For those who cannot attend the Race in person, our Sleep In for the Cure program allows them to race “in absentia”; those participants will receive both a participant t-shirt and a cozy, embroidered pink ribbon blanket. Finally, for the first time, students can now receive a special, discounted price when they provide the name of their school in the registration process.
The Race for the Cure is the largest single source of critically needed funding in the fight against breast cancer and raises awareness of this deadly disease. This year, Komen North Texas granted a total of $750,000 for local breast health services to four organizations to fund breast health programs for medically underserved North Texans focusing on education, screening, treatment, and patient navigation: The Bridge Breast Network, Grayson County Health Department, Moncrief Cancer Institute, and the YWCA of Metropolitan Dallas.
Local Presenting Sponsor, Sally Beauty Holdings, is leading the way for employee involvement; they will have both a Race team and a large volunteer group at the Denton Race for the Cure. As the Local Presenting Sponsor of the 2011 Denton Race for the Cure, Sally Beauty Holdings formed a team of over 100 members who raised nearly $5,000, in addition to their generous Local Presenting Sponsor donation. They have thrown kick-off luncheons and registration events to drum up the support of their employees for the Denton Race for the Cure. There is still time for businesses and groups to sign up for teams or to volunteer at komennorthtexas.org.
Making a bold statement in pink, approximately 300 survivors will form a procession to the Survivor Celebration and Awards Ceremony on the main stage at 10:00 a.m. We will both honor the Survivors of breast cancer as well as pay tribute to the men and women who have lost their battle with the disease. The ceremony will also recognize sponsors and include prizes for fastest runners, best team T-shirt design, and most creative “Tinkled Pink” Porta-Potty decoration. Largest team and individual fundraisers will be recognized after the October 31(st) deadline for Denton Race fundraising. Incentives for the Friends for the Cure fundraising program are posted on komennorthtexas.org.
Race day volunteer opportunities for individuals and groups are still available. Visit the volunteer section of komennorthtexas.org to see duty descriptions and sign up.
About Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Komen North Texas Affiliate
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever. In 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure and launched the global breast cancer movement. The North Texas Affiliate of Komen for the Cure is working to better the lives of those facing breast cancer in the local community. Through events like the Komen North Texas Plano Race for the Cure, the Komen North Texas Affiliate has invested $9 million in local breast health and breast cancer awareness projects in Collin, Cooke, Denton, Fannin, Grayson, Hunt, Montague and Wise counties. Of the funds Komen North Texas raises, 75% is invested in North Texas. The remaining 25% goes to the national Susan G. Komen for the Cure Grants Program to fund scientific research. For more information, call 972-378-4808, visit komennorthtexas.org or follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
SOURCE Susan G. Komen North Texas Affiliate