Quantcast
Last updated on April 24, 2014 at 10:33 EDT

Collaborative Spine Research Foundation Announces Agenda for Clinical Spine Research

September 28, 2012

ROSEMONT, Ill., Sept. 28, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — The Collaborative Spine Research Foundation (Collaborative Spine) today announced it has completed the process of setting a research agenda for spine care. The agenda articulates the most critical clinical research issues that need to be addressed in order to deliver on the Foundation’s commitment to advance the science and practice of the highest-quality spine care.

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20120702/DC33340LOGO)

Initiated July 2, 2012, the agenda-setting process was conducted through review of a comprehensive briefing document and completion of an online survey by which respondents recommended research topics. Through July and August, Collaborative Spine invited broad participation in the survey–inclusive of those who provide care, receive care, assist care teams or play a role in shaping access to care. At the close of the survey, on August 15, a total of 143 submissions had been received.

“Dialogue with stakeholders is central to the commitment that Collaborative Spine directors have explicitly made to one another and implicitly to our patients,” said Collaborative Spine Board of Directors member Paul McCormick, MD, MPH, FAANS. “We look forward to continued conversation with individuals and organizations interested in better spine care through clinical research.”

Review and deliberation of the recommended topics was led by the Foundation’s 32-member Advisory Council whose members were recruited to represent clinical and academic medicine; the clinical spine research community; and industry, including medical technology, health services and insurance organizations. The Council met via webinar and presented their recommendations to the Collaborative Spine Board of Directors for its consideration.

“Through this process, stakeholders will shape the vast majority of the research funded by Collaborative Spine Research Foundation,” said Board Chair James D. Heckman, MD. “We’re very appreciative of each and every topic recommended.” The Foundation’s operating principles call for 80 percent of available funding to be devoted to agenda-directed research, with the remaining 20 percent put toward investigator-directed research. An executive summary and a full overview of Collaborative Spine’s agenda for clinical spine research can be found at: http://www.csrfoundation.net/CSRFresearchagenda.html

The Collaborative Spine Research Foundation was co-founded in December 2011 by the American Association of Neurosurgeons/Neurosurgery Research and Education Foundation (NREF) and Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation (OREF). The board of directors includes equal numbers of orthopaedic surgeons and neurosurgeons, as well as a physician from a third medical specialty, currently anesthesiology. The Foundation’s application for 501(c) (3) status is pending. For more information please visit www.csrfoundation.net.

SOURCE Collaborative Spine Research Foundation


Source: PR Newswire