Susan G. Komen for the Cure® Appoints Rita Forden as Chief Executive Officer of Its Chicagoland Affiliate
CHICAGO, Feb. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ — The Chicagoland Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® announced today that it has named Rita Forden as Chief Executive Officer. Forden joins Susan G. Komen from the Illinois division of the American Cancer Society.
“Rita is a nationally recognized leader in the health education and cancer prevention community,” said Richard Biller, Chairman of the Board for the Chicagoland Affiliate of Susan G. Komen. “She has a passion for making a difference in the lives of cancer patients and families, as well as a compelling vision to further our mission and broaden our organization’s ties within the Chicago philanthropic community. We are very pleased she is joining our organization and look forward to working with her to bring our organization to new levels of success.”
Established in 1997, the Chicagoland Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® held the first Susan G. Komen Chicago Race for the Cure®. Komen Chicago will host its 16(th) Annual Race for the Cure® in Chicago Grant Park on May 12(th), 2013 with the Komen Chicago Mother’s Day Race for the Cure® honoring former First Lady Maggie C. Daley.
It has awarded over $12 million towards the fight against breast cancer by funding grassroots breast health navigation, breast cancer education, screening, and treatment projects. Seventy-five percent (75%) of net proceeds generated by the Komen Chicagoland Affiliate stay in the metropolitan area, while the remaining twenty-five percent (25%) supports the Susan G. Komen for the Cure® Grants Program for global research. In 2011, Komen Chicago was awarded the Affiliate of the Year by Susan G. Komen for the Cure®.
“For more than 15 years, Susan G. Komen Chicago has been the leading voice for breast cancer education and prevention in this region,” said Forden. “I am very excited to build upon the strong foundation and programs that have produced millions of dollars in funding for essential research. Together with our dedicated team of Board Members, donors, volunteers and employees, we will continue to pursue our mission of a world without breast cancer.”
Forden recently served as Vice President of Development for the American Cancer Society (ACS), Illinois Division. During her tenure, Forden led the fundraising efforts that substantially expanded patient services through the ACS Patient Navigation Services program. Under her leadership, the organization created its first endowment funded by a living donor. As an executive team member of the ACS Illinois Division, Forden was recognized for her energy, collaborative management style and strategic vision that helped to create local initiatives and staffing structures that were adopted nationwide.
She joined the American Cancer Society in 2004, and helped to restructure the organization’s CEOs Against Cancer employee education and fundraising program. Under her leadership, the program grew from 30 to nearly 100 CEOs throughout Illinois, empowering over 4 million employees and dependents with information about cancer prevention, early detection, patient navigation and benefit utilization.
Forden has been active in many community organizations including the American Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO), serving as a Regional Board Member for the last two years.
About the Chicagoland Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure®
The Chicagoland Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® granted over $1.5 million to 17 community organizations in the Chicagoland service area in 2012. The Chicagoland Affiliate is one of only a few affiliates that operates two Race for the Cure® events. For more information please call 773-444-0061 or visit www.komenchicago.org.
SOURCE Chicagoland Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure