Five Physical Therapy Tips from the Austin Sports Medicine Doctors at Medicine in Motion
Medicine in Motion’s Austin sports medicine physical therapists have compiled a list of five tips to keep athletes of all ages and levels pain-free and active.
(PRWEB) February 25, 2013
Sports medicine is a broad branch of health care that is used by a variety of health care professionals including physical therapists, personal trainers, massage therapists, dieticians/nutritionists, chiropractors, surgeons, acupuncturists and more. While each discipline approaches sports medicine from a different angle, they all have the same goal of rehabilitating an injured athlete back to full health and mobility.
Physical therapy is a key component for any sports medicine practice. Athletes of all ages and levels get injured daily, so the Austin sports medicine physical therapists at Medicine in Motion have shared a list of five important tips to remember all day, every day – not just during exercising and sports activities.
1. Use proper techniques when lifting heavy objects to avoid hurting the back. It’s a common phrase, but it bears repeating: “lift with the legs.” Squat to the ground and bring the item up with you, whether it weighs a lot or not. If it’s too heavy to lift properly, ask for assistance.
2. Pay close attention to form, breathing and range of motion during exercises. If not performing exercises correctly, a person could do more damage than good. Don´t let the mind wander during these activities — make every repetition as good as it can be.
3. Always be aware of posture. Maintain an upright posture position at all times. Check out form in the mirror throughout the day — if slouching, correct it. It may require a conscious effort at first, but soon it will become second nature.
4. Stretch throughout the entire day, not just before and after exercising. Take a moment at work and at home to keep the body limber.
5. Don´t let nagging joint and muscle pain linger. If you´re having minor pains, address it with a physical therapist. Small pains can balloon into bigger problems if they´re not dealt with.
Medicine in Motion (MIM) specializes in providing top quality sports medicine in Austin, Texas, for athletic individuals of all ages and levels. The doctors at MIM believe active bodies are healthy bodies, therefore it is the office’s goal to keep patients energetic and fit. To that end, MIM provides treatment of injuries and illnesses, including the use of physical rehabilitation; promotes healthy living with personal training and nutrition coaching; and offers comprehensive sports medicine evaluations to optimize health, activity level and sports performance. For more information or for questions regarding sports medicine in Austin, contact Medicine in Motion at 512-257-2500 or visit the website at http://www.medinmotion.com.
For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb2013/2/prweb10456380.htm