New ARAG Study Shows Legal Plans Reduce Stress, Boost Wellness
DES MOINES, Iowa, April 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ — A new ARAG(®) study demonstrates a correlation between having a legal plan and decreased stress – a significant find if you are looking for ways to boost wellness and productivity.
“Medical experts have clearly established that stress puts people at risk for health problems and costs businesses billions of dollars due to absenteeism and lost productivity,” said David Murray, President and CEO of ARAG, a global provider of legal solutions. “ARAG’s new research confirms that legal plans reduce stress which in turn positively impacts the health of Americans and the bottom line of U.S. employers.”
The ARAG-commissioned study titled “The De-Stress Zone: How a Legal Plan Can Ease Stress, Boost Wellness” was conducted by Russell(SM) Research. The study reported that:
- Three out of four Americans experienced at least one legal issue in the past year.(1)
- Nearly 73 percent of those dealing with a legal issue are extremely, very or somewhat stressed.(1)
- Top five causes( )of stress when dealing with a legal issue include not knowing where to turn, not understanding options, time commitment, legal costs and finding an attorney.(2)
- 87 percent of people with a legal plan say it reduces their stress when handling a legal situation.(2)
With stress accounting for 75-90 percent of doctor visits(3) and costing organizations $300 billion annually(4) in lost hours due to absenteeism, reduced productivity and workers’ compensation benefits, many companies are taking a closer look at options to reduce stress and boost wellness – such as a legal plan.
(1) ARAG, "Measuring the Effects of Employee Financial and Legal Woes," March 2012 2 ARAG, "The De-Stress Zone: How a Legal Plan Can Ease Stress, Boost Wellness," April 2013 (3) American Medical Association and American Psychological Association Stress in America(TM) survey, 2012 4 The American Institute of Stress, "Workplace Stress," August 29, 2011
ARAG( ®) (www.ARAGgroup.com) provides affordable legal solutions through trusted service to help people protect what matters most.
ARAG is a world leader in legal protection services. The company has an international premium base of nearly $2 billion and protects 15.5 million individuals and their families.
ARAG’s North American headquarters are based in Des Moines, Iowa. We are committed to providing our customers a choice of legal solutions to help them live a life full of opportunities. We demonstrate expertise, integrity and passion in everything we do to serve our customers and make a positive difference in our community. We are proud to sponsor ARAG Free Will Day, providing low and middle income citizens with free access to attorneys for the creation of important legal documents to protect their family, finances and future.
In honor of ARAG’s outstanding customer service, we’ve earned both a Top 100 Call Center title (2011-12) and the prestigious Center of Excellence Award for an unprecedented six years (2007-2012). Additionally, ARAG is recognized as a Best Places to Work in Insurance (2009-2012) by Business Insurance Magazine. This esteemed honor is based on workplace culture and employee feedback.
For more news and information about ARAG, visit ARAGgroup.com.
ARAG Corporate Communications Manager