Why the Perfect Workout Buddy Is Hairy, Panting and Shirtless
Petco(TM) and Celebrity Trainer, Gunnar Peterson, Encourage Pet Parents to Get on the Fitness Track by Getting Outdoors with an Ideal Workout Buddy – Their Pet
SAN DIEGO, May 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ — Typically, your ideal workout buddy would not be someone with an exposed hairy torso who is panting heavily, drooling and staring intensely in your direction. However, you’ve actually found yourself just that when that creature beside you is a beloved pet. To encourage pet parents to get back on the fitness track by getting outdoors with pets, animal-lover and celebrity trainer, Gunnar Peterson, and Petco(TM) give five reasons why they are the best workout buddy one could ever hope for.
1) Being a no show is out of the question. Ever have a workout partner that was never on time or just didn’t show up at all? A dog is always there, raring to go so pet parents don’t lose motivation. Plus, a fitness routine involving a pet has additional benefits. Besides helping keep you both physically fit, exercise also keeps dogs mentally alert and emotionally happy. They’ll be more content and less likely to get into mischief.
2) They look forward to new adventures. If you have ever worked out with a Debbie Downer, they were likely resistant to exploring new places. Most dogs are always enthusiastic about a change of scenery. Routine long walks will also help cure boredom and satisfy their exercise needs too. Changing the walking route is a great way to challenge dogs because it is mentally stimulating to explore new smells, areas, pets and people, while also giving them vital exercise and time to bond with their pet parent. Retractable leashes, like the Flexi Fashion Retractable Belt Leashes, are a great option to offer dogs freedom, while still keeping them safe and stylish.
3) They’re great for your social life. Not only will you both be in great physical shape, but getting outdoors with a dog can actually help you meet someone. According to an article in the U.K.’s Daily Mail, one in four pet parents have met dates while walking their dogs and one third of owners have made new friends. Dogs are social creatures too, so you both will feel emotionally and socially fulfilled.
4) They will never get bored with helping perfect your throw. Whether you’re in a summer softball league or gearing up for football season, a dog will never roll its eyes when you want to work on your pitching arm for the tenth time this week. In fact, you couldn’t ask for more enthusiasm when it comes to ball time. If your arm gets tired, toys such as the Chuckit! are great for playing fetch until you are ready to go again.
5) They’re always up for a new challenge. Dogs look forward to a challenge, as should you. A sharp mind is equally as important as a sound body, so why not combine both? Get outdoors with a Kyjen Agility Kit. The dog takes cues from you to make his way through an obstacle course while racing against the clock. Unlike many other dog sports, basic activities on beginner obstacles are relatively easy to learn and most dogs can do well and have fun with minimum training. It’s also a great way to enhance the emotional bond between you and your dog. The agility obstacle course keeps your dog’s senses sharpened, body properly exercised, teaches problem solving skills and brain occupied.
Your pal’s exercise program should be tailored to her age, size and breed. Ask your veterinarian how much exercise – and what kind – is appropriate for your dog.
For more information on staying physically fit with your pet visit: www.petco.com/wholepets.
Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and advice that make it easier for our customers to be great pet parents. Everything we do is guided by our vision for Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We operate more than 1,200 stores nationwide and in Puerto Rico, including more than 50 Unleashed by Petco locations, a smaller format neighborhood shop, and www.petco.com. The Petco Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization, has raised more than $100 million since it was created in 1999 to help promote and improve the welfare of companion animals. In conjunction with the Foundation, we work with and support approximately 8,000 local animal welfare groups across the country to help find homes for more than 350,000 animals through in-store adoption events every year.
About Gunnar Peterson
Gunnar Peterson is a Beverly Hills-based personal trainer whose clients include celebrities, professional athletes, and everyday people. He is widely recognized for his expertise in functional training and his commitment to developing and implementing innovative fitness techniques. With over 20 years in the fitness industry, Gunnar’s dynamic approach, boundless energy and humor only add to the effectiveness of the experience his clients enjoy. With a client list as diverse as his training methods, Gunnar emphasizes strength-training modalities that can be transferred from the gym to daily life, from training camp to championships.