Aflac New York Expands Statewide Coverage With New Cancer Care Plan
ALBANY, N.Y., June 27, 2013 /PRNewswire/ — Aflac, the No. 1 provider of voluntary and guaranteed-renewable insurance in the United States, today announced that it has launched a new Cancer Care plan in the state of New York that is intended to help policyholders cover out of pocket costs and expenses associated with cancer treatment. The American Cancer Society predicts there will be 108,760 new cases of cancer in New York in 2013 alone.(1) If unprepared, a cancer diagnosis may trigger financial distress for employees and their families. The Cancer Care plan pays cash benefits to policyholders diagnosed with cancer, including melanoma and some blood disorders.
The Cancer Care policy offers four plan options to fit employees’ personal and financial needs. Benefits include:
- Initial Diagnosis Benefit — Cash benefits of up to $6,000 per covered person, depending upon the plan selected. Additionally, the benefit of up to $6,000 will double per covered child.
- Wellness Benefit — Cash benefit of up to $100 per calendar year, per covered person, depending upon the plan selected.
- One Age Band — Coverage is available to employees up to age 75.
- Medical Imaging with Diagnosis Benefit – Cash benefits of up to $200 per calendar year, per covered person, depending upon the plan selected.
- Topical Chemotherapy Benefit — Cash benefits of up to $200 per prescription per month, depending upon the plan selected.
- Optional Riders:*
- Dependent Child Rider — For less than $1 per month, this rider pays $10,000 when a covered dependent child is diagnosed with internal cancer or an associated cancerous condition. This is in addition to the benefits payable in the base plan.
- Initial Diagnosis Building Benefit Rider – Cash benefits of up to $500 payable per covered person in addition to the Initial Diagnosis Benefit.
- Specified Health Event with First-Occurrence Building Benefit Rider — Cash benefits of $5,000 per covered person for a covered event. Also, the cash benefit per covered child is $7,500. A hospitalization benefit of $240 per day is offered as well if the covered person is admitted to the hospital for the covered specified health event.
- Specified Health Event with First-Occurrence Building Benefit and Recovery Benefit Rider – All benefits included in Specified Health Event with First-Occurrence Building Benefit Rider plus one added benefit – the Specified Health Event Recovery Benefit. The cash benefit is $500 per month, per covered person for the covered health event, up to six months.
*Eligible specified health events include: heart attack, stroke, end-stage renal failure, or sudden cardiac arrest.
“Cancer can strike at any time and is an emotionally difficult time,” said John Harmeling, senior vice president of Worksite Marketing at Aflac. “Sadly, the financial responsibilities that often come with a serious illness place even further burden and stress upon families. The Aflac New York Cancer Care offerings help people cope with the out-of-pocket costs and everyday expenses that can quickly add up, helping to ease the financial hardship. Our goal is to help provide financial peace of mind so employees can focus fully on their recovery.”
Additionally, the Aflac New York Cancer Care base plan includes benefits for radiation therapy, experimental treatment, bone marrow transplants, and more. These cash benefits are designed to help with out-of-pocket expenses that typically are not covered by major medical insurance. In fact, the Aflac Real Cost Calculator estimates that some of the newer cancer treatments can cost up to $10,000 a month.(2)
Coverage is underwritten by American Family Life Assurance Company of New York. This is a brief product overview only. The policy has limitations that may affect benefits payable. Please consult your Aflac insurance agent for more information on plan benefits, limitations, and exclusions.
(1 )Cancer Facts & Figures 2013, Atlanta: American Cancer Society, 2013.
(2 )American Cancer Society
http://www.cancer.org/treatment/findingandpayingfortreatment/managinginsuranceissues/the-cost-of-cancer-treatment, Date Accessed: Jan. 15, 2013
When a policyholder gets sick or hurt, Aflac pays cash benefits fast. For nearly six decades, Aflac insurance policies have given policyholders the opportunity to focus on recovery, not financial stress. In the United States, Aflac is the number one provider of guaranteed-renewable insurance. In Japan, Aflac is the number one life insurance company in terms of individual policies in force. Aflac individual and group insurance products provide protection to more than 50 million people worldwide. For seven consecutive years, Aflac has been recognized by Ethisphere magazine as one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies. In 2013, FORTUNE magazine recognized Aflac as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For in America for the 15th consecutive year. Also, in 2013, FORTUNE magazine included Aflac on its list of Most Admired Companies for the 12th time, ranking the company number one in the life and health insurance category. Aflac Incorporated is a Fortune 500 company listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol AFL. To find out more about Aflac, visit aflac.com or espanol.aflac.com.
Media Contacts: Kip Havel Cathleen Bleers Aflac Hill & Knowlton 706.243.5543 312.255.3123 email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org