Dr. Gregory Buford Reveals the Secrets to Artful Breast Augmentation Results
?Denver plastic surgeon says many variables must be balanced to create a beautiful breast enhancement result
DENVER, Aug. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ — The best plastic surgery results come from surgeons who possess the right blend of technical abilities and aesthetic judgment. Dr. Gregory Buford, a Denver plastic surgeon, says that natural-looking results from breast augmentation require a refined sense of beauty and proportion, experience in choosing appropriate implants, and superior surgical skills in placing the implants.
“Breast augmentation is an art,” says Dr. Buford. “The most beautiful results come from surgeons who shape the breasts, rather than simply enlarge them.”
Breast enhancement that is in proportion to the patient’s body offers the most elegant, harmonious results. While technical surgical skill is important, the surgeon also has to apply his or her aesthetic judgment to a wide array of variables that affect the final outcome, all the while keeping the patient’s desired cleavage in mind. After weighing all the information, he or she must then synthesize those variables to craft a pleasing result.
Choosing the appropriate implant
?Because each patient’s physical characteristics are different, selecting the correct implant is a key decision that requires careful deliberation. When creating an artfully shaped, enhanced breast, here are a few of the important factors related to the choice of implants:
- Implant size. Implant size should be considered carefully to create a pleasing, proportionate silhouette. For instance, 450cc implants may look right on a broad-shouldered woman, but could appear incongruous on someone with a petite frame.
- Implant profile. Implant profile is the forward projection of the implant from the body. Implants that contain the same volume but have a moderate profile will give a very different final appearance than high profile implants.
- Implant shape. Breast implants come in round and teardrop shapes, so surgeons can provide more or less fullness in the upper breast. It’s important to consider which shape will support the desired look, given the anatomy of the patient.
- Implant width. The width of the implant must complement the patient’s frame to result in a natural-looking breast enhancement.
- Implant type. Silicone gel implants have a fixed volume and feel more like natural breast tissue; saline implants can be filled with a variable amount of fluid, affecting the feel, firmness, and shape of the augmented breast.
Considering the patient’s body
?In addition to the features of the implant, the patient’s anatomy, natural breast characteristics, and skin condition also figure prominently into the surgeon’s decision-making process. Here are several important factors:
- Body type. The patient’s frame–including height, weight, and chest width–is extremely important, as overly large implants will look out of proportion and even cartoonish on a woman with a small frame. Conversely, a tall woman with a large frame may require large implants to create a pleasing silhouette.
- Breast characteristics. Many important decisions are based on the patient’s existing breasts, including the amount of breast tissue present, the location of the nipple, and the distance from the nipple to the breast fold. For example, an implant can easily be seen if there is not enough breast tissue to cover it; this factor can influence whether the implant is placed over or under the chest muscle.
- Skin characteristics. It is important to judge skin thickness and elasticity; a large implant can sag over time if the skin is extremely thin and elastic.
Artfully shaping a breast, not merely enlarging it, takes technical skill, finesse, and aesthetic judgment, all the while balancing the large number of variables involved. Patients considering breast augmentation should interview experienced, board-certified plastic surgeons and ask to see before-and-after photos to judge the doctor’s surgical expertise as well as his or her artistic sensibility.
About BEAUTY by BUFORD: One of Denver’s top plastic surgeons, Gregory Buford, MD, FACS, is the founder and medical director of BEAUTY by BUFORD. The Official Plastic Surgeon to the Miss Colorado Pageant, he was named one of “America’s Top Surgeons” and is a nationally recognized trainer and consultant for many non-surgical products and techniques. He can be reached at 303-747-6719 or on his website.
Media Contact: Dr. Gregory Buford, BEAUTY by BUFORD, 303-747-6719,? www.beautybybuford.com
To read more news by this source, please visit www.ereleases.com/pr/author/beauty-by-buford
SOURCE Dr. Gregory Buford