5 Reasons that Breast Augmentation is the Top Cosmetic Surgery
Plastic surgeon Dr. Emily J. Kirby discusses why women choose breast enhancement with confidence
FORT WORTH, Texas, Aug. 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ — Breast augmentation is a perennially popular cosmetic surgery for women. According to statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), it has been the top plastic surgery in the United States since 2006. Dr. Emily Kirby shares 5 reasons that women request breast augmentation:
1. It has an extremely high satisfaction rate. Women who are surveyed after surgery regularly report that they are happy with the outcome of the procedure. In a recent study published in the official medical journal of the ASPS, 98% of the women surveyed said that their breast augmentation results met or exceeded their expectations. The study noted psychological benefits as well: 90% of the women reported increased self-esteem after breast augmentation.
2. It is a routine surgery with a fairly easy recovery. Breast augmentation surgery generally takes one to two hours and is performed on an outpatient basis. Many women are able to return to work after just a few days of recovery, depending on the occupation. Full activities, including exercise, can be resumed within four to six weeks.
3. Breast implants are safe devices. Implants are filled with two different substances: saline or silicone gel. All the breast implants that are available in the United States were studied extensively before they were approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Saline implants are filled with a sterile saltwater solution that is very similar to that which is naturally present in the human body, and it would be safely absorbed in case of rupture. The safety of silicone gel implants has been investigated rigorously and no link has been found between them and any major disease; the silicone in new breast implants is cohesive and does not leak into the body in case of rupture.
4. The results are long-lasting. Although breast implants are not intended to be lifetime devices, they do not need to be replaced at regular intervals and can last for decades. Although modern implants are extremely durable, any device can fail. It is easy to spot a rupture in a saline implant because it deflates. Because a rupture is not easily detected in a silicone gel implant, the FDA recommends that women with them have MRI screens every 2 years.
5. The variety of implants offers a personalized result. There are now a total of seven approved implants from three different manufacturers on the market in the United States, with each available in a wide variety of sizes, shapes, and profiles. The last three approved implants have each been manufactured using the newest generation of silicone gel, which is highly cohesive and form stable. All three are available in an anatomical teardrop shape that closely resembles a natural breast. With such a diverse group of products to choose from, every woman should be able to get a customized result that fits her body type and satisfies her goals for breast enhancement.
Women continue to seek breast augmentation because it boosts confidence and self-esteem through a safe, reliable cosmetic procedure that produces consistent results. An experienced plastic surgeon can advise a potential patient on the possible benefits of breast enhancement and suggest the appropriate surgical approach.
About Kirby Plastic Surgery: Dr. Emily J. Kirby is an aesthetic and reconstructive plastic surgeon. Her practice is located at 7250 Hawkins View Drive, Suite 412, Fort Worth, TX 76132. Contact her at 817.292.4200 or kirbyplasticsurgery.com.
Media Contact: Randol Kirby, 817.292.4200.
Read more news from Kirby Plastic Surgery.
SOURCE Kirby Plastic Surgery