Quantcast
Last updated on April 17, 2014 at 1:21 EDT

ACEP Warns: Safety First When Turning Up The Heat

November 19, 2013

WASHINGTON, Nov. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — As temperatures drop, more people will turn on heaters to stay warm. The nation’s emergency physicians warn about the potential risks involved with heating your homes and bodies.

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20100616/DC22034LOGO-d)

“Every year, tragically, people are burned, start fires, get an electric shock and even die from carbon monoxide poisoning, because they weren’t taking proper precautions,” said Dr. Alex Rosenau, president of the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP). “I don’t want anyone in my emergency department suffering from an injury that could have been easily prevented.”

Each year more than 2,500 people died in house fires in the United States, according to FEMA and another 12,600 are injured.

Another big concern each fall and winter is carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and even death. People can be poisoned by breathing it.

The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and confusion. High levels can cause loss of consciousness. Every home should have a carbon monoxide detector, and if you have any of these symptoms, you should seek emergency care.

ACEP recommends the following:

    --  Check all smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.  Make certain
        they are working properly.  If they are battery operated, change the
        batteries.  There should be one of each detector on every floor of your
        house.
    --  Have a professional inspect your gas furnace at least once a year.  One
        with leaks or cracks can be dangerous for your home, leaking carbon
        monoxide or possibly causing a fire.
    --  If you use a fireplace, have a professional inspect and clean it every
        year to avoid fires.  Also make sure any flammable materials are away
        from the open flame area.  Never burn trash, cardboard boxes or items
        that may contain chemicals that can poison your home.
    --  If you use a wood burning stove, have a professional inspect and clean
        the chimney each year.  Make sure you have a safe perimeter around it,
        because it can radiate excessive heat.  Place on a flame-resistant
        carpet, use a screen to prevent sparks and hot coals from coming out of
        the stove.  Use safe woods, such as oak, hickory and ash -- avoid pine
        and cedar.
    --  Never use a range (electric or gas) or oven as a heating source.  It's
        not only a dangerous fire hazard; it can release dangerous fumes, such
        as carbon monoxide.
    --  If you use an electric space heater, keep a safe perimeter around it.
        Make sure it is away from water or anything flammable like curtains,
        paper, blankets, or furniture.  Check for any faulty wiring that can
        cause electric shock or fire.  Supervise children and pets around space
        heaters, and turn them off before leaving the room or going to sleep.

For more on this and other health related topics, go to www.emergencycareforyou.org.

ACEP is the national medical specialty society representing emergency medicine. ACEP is committed to advancing emergency care through continuing education, research and public education. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, ACEP has 53 chapters representing each state, as well as Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia. A Government Services Chapter represents emergency physicians employed by military branches and other government agencies.

SOURCE American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP)


Source: PR Newswire