Personhood USA: Three significant victories for the family of Justina Pelletier
BOSTON, March 3, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — At a hearing today, the family of Justina Pelletier achieved three significant victories that lead them closer to bringing Justina home.
First, the spurious gag order has been withdrawn and is no longer in effect. Second, no contempt charges will be filed against the Pelletiers for speaking publicly about their daughter’s plight. Finally, responsibility for Justina’s medical care has been transferred to Tufts Medical Center.
Nevertheless, these remain half-measures until Justina is removed from the custody of DCF. The Pelletier family and the Free Justina campaign intend to press forward with even more intensity until Justina is back in the loving arms of her family.
Reverend Patrick Mahoney, family spokesperson who was present at the courthouse, said, “This is a small step in the right direction, but it validates what we have known all along: the gag order was blatantly unconstitutional and indefensible, and that Justina needed be under Tufts care, just as the Pelletiers had been saying for the last 12 months. This signifies that the parents were right after all, and that the charge of ‘medical abuse’ was bogus.”
Keith Mason, President of Personhood USA said: “The DCF bureaucracy kept this family under their thumb for a whole year. But within a week of shedding the national spotlight on this case, they are feeling the heat and have begun to back down. The public pressure campaign is working and is one of the sole reasons we’ve seen movement on this case.”
He added: “We need to redouble our efforts until Justina is free. This public campaign cannot rest for even a minute. We will continue to pressure DCF and other key stakeholders until Justina is returned home.”
SOURCE Personhood USA