Quantcast

Parents–Talk With Your Grads About Celebrating Safely

May 20, 2014

BETHESDA, Md., May 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ –

Graduation…

Graduation is a time to celebrate. But before the party starts, take the time to talk with your graduates about alcohol–it just may save a life.

http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnvar/20140519/89062

It’s About Your Teen…

A teenager’s brain is still developing and it is very sensitive to alcohol’s effects on judgment and decision-making.

Alcohol Can Be Tricky…

If your graduates drink, they may temporarily feel elated and happy, but they should not be fooled. Ask them to consider these risks:

    --  Their inhibitions and memory soon become affected--so they may say and
        do things that they will regret and possibly will not remember doing at
        all.

    --  Their decision-making skills are also affected. They may become restless
        and aggressive. They may be more at risk for having an alcohol-related
        traffic crash, getting into ?ghts, trashing a house, or making unwise
        decisions about sex.

Then there is what happens to their physical control–loss of balance, slurred speech, and blurred vision. Even normal activities–like crossing a busy intersection–can become more dangerous.

Too Much Alcohol Becomes a Deadly Poison…

If your partygoers drink enough, they will eventually get sleepy and pass out. Reflexes like gagging and breathing can be suppressed. That means they could vomit and choke to death or just stop breathing. They may even be at risk for alcohol poisoning.

Think About It!

Drinking too much can mean trips to the emergency room, arrests, and sexual assaults. Your students could put themselves and their friends in real danger. Ask them to consider this: Is that any way to celebrate?

Talking With Your Graduate…

Research shows that parents do make a difference. Talking with your graduate about alcohol now could help prevent a life-changing mistake.

A Word About Alcohol Poisoning

Thousands of students are transported to the ER each year for alcohol poisoning, which occurs when high levels of alcohol suppress the nervous and respiratory systems, and the body struggles to rid itself of toxins produced from the breakdown of alcohol. Signs of this dangerous condition can include:

    --  Mental confusion, stupor, coma, or the person cannot be roused
    --  Vomiting
    --  Slow or irregular breathing
    --  Hypothermia or low body temperature, bluish or pale skin

Alcohol poisoning can lead to permanent brain damage or death, so a person showing any of these signs requires immediate medical attention. Don’t wait. Call 911 if you suspect alcohol poisoning.

Remember…

Tell your graduate to play it safe and party right at graduation.

For more information visit: www.collegedrinkingprevention.gov

Photo – http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20140519/89062

SOURCE National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health


Source: PR Newswire



comments powered by Disqus