June 14, 2008

At LNJP, Patient Bleeds for a Day

By Tanvi

NEW DELHI: If the family of an 18-year-old accident victim with severe head injuries is to be believed, Saurabh Kakkar, had to wait for 24 hours at Lok Nayak Hospital before being finally shifted to the ICU on Thursday evening. He had met with an accident on Wednesday at Rani Bagh and had to wait all this while, despite being in dire need of a ventilator.

Saurabh had suffered head injury and multiple fractures in the accident. His family claims that his suffering was prolonged due to the laidback attitude of the hospital authorities, as his first X- ray was done at 4 pm on Thursday - nearly 24 hours after the accident. "The doctors here have hardly cared to look into our son's case properly. They dressed his wounds a day after he was admitted and have told us that his chances of survival are only about five percent," said Trilochan Kakkar, Saurabh's father.

The hospital administration admits that Saurabh is in a serious condition. On being asked why was he not shifted to the ICU and put on a ventilator, Dr Anjan Prakash, spokesperson, Lok Nayak Hospital, said: "He has suffered serious head injury and is under the neurosurgery department. There was no ventilator free when he was brought in. He has been shifted to the ICU now. We don't have a ventilator in the emergency."

Saurabh was in Ranibagh on his bike on Wednesday when it slipped and his head smashed into the grill along the sidewalk. He was first taken to Bhagwan Mahavir Hospital at 4 pm from where his case was referred to Lok Nayak Hospital.

"I am shocked at the way this hospital is run. They say it's one of the biggest hospitals but they do not even have enough beds and ventilators in the ICU. When they know that his condition is critical why can't they take the matter more seriously. They don't even refer the case to some other hospital," added Saurabh's father.

One of the biggest government hospitals in the city, Lok Nayak hospital has just nine ventilators out of which only six are in working condition. Saurabh was moved to the intensive care unit after 24 hours on Thursday after a strong protest by the family members. "I only hope it's not too late already. They took a whole day to do what should have been done at the very first instance," said Rajni Kakkar, the patient's mother.

(c) 2008 The Times of India. Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning. All rights Reserved.