June 24, 2008

Youngster Back at School Following Bike Collision

By fiona dryden

A Week after being rushed to hospital with a serious head injury, five-year-old Millie Harrop has made an emotional return to school.

The youngster was hit by a cyclist as she stepped on to the pavement outside her Cheltenham home in St Paul's Street South.

Doctors from Bristol's Frenchay Hospital had to operate for four hours to stem the bleeding to her fractured skull. They inserted metal plates and some of Millie's hair had to be cut.

But she was discharged from hospital on Thursday and returned to St Gregory's Primary School the following day - just in time to take part in her class assembly.

Mum Claire Kent said: "She was desperate to get back for her assembly so it was really emotional. There were a lot of mums in tears when she arrived.

"Millie's got a huge scar from her ear to her neck, but the surgeons have done a great job so it shouldn't be too bad. Thankfully they didn't have to cut off too much hair when they operated."

The youngster fractured her skull when her head hit a bollard as she fell following the collision, but doctors and Millie's family have been left astonished by her quick recovery.

Claire said: "She's enjoying all the visitors and attention, but I'm a nervous wreck. I keep telling her to be careful and watch her head wherever she goes.

"I'm keeping a close eye on her. The doctors have said she might be prone to an epileptic fit so I'm a feeling a bit shell-shocked at the moment.

"It's just wonderful to have her back home with us.

"She won't be going back to school full time. We'll introduce her gradually to make sure it's not all too much."

Classmates at St Gregory's sent their love and best wishes to Millie as soon as they heard the news.

They made a huge card, which headteacher Sharon Aston and class teacher Sarah Bellamy delivered to her hospital bedside.

The cyclist involved has been interviewed by CID and road policing officers.

Initial reports were that the cyclist had ridden off, but subsequent inquiries have revealed she made contact with officers immediately and has been assisting officers with their investigation.

(c) 2008 Gloucestershire Echo, The. Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning. All rights Reserved.