August 6, 2008
A selective list of non-profit agencies and organizations in North Jersey needing volunteers and donations.
* Volunteers for the YWCA of Bergen County Rape Crisis Center. Orientation for all volunteers, including those interesting in helping with fund-raising, special events or general office work, 6 to 9 p.m. Aug. 13 in Hackensack. Training for those interested in become advocates or assisting with community outreach will continue on other dates. Sept. 13. Call 201-881-1700.
* Volunteers to tutor adults in basic literacy or English for speakers of other langauges, working one-on-one or in small groups at libraries and other public places. A high school diploma, completion of the free 18-hour training workshop and a tutoring commitment of one to two hours per week are required. Knowledge of another language is not needed. Call Donna Franzonia of Literacy Volunteers of America, Essex/Passaic County, at 973-680-0300 or e- mail [email protected]
* Volunteers for the new Baby Basics site at the Center for Food Action in Carlstadt. The Children's Aid and Family Services program provides free diapers and formula to eligible low-income families in Bergen County. Call Shakira Irby-Mason, 201-445-7015.
* Donations for the United Way of Passaic County's "Backpack for Kids" drive, which aims to provide a backpack and school supplies for each student at School 17 in Paterson. Pencils, notebooks, rulers, binders, crayons and other supplies as well as backpacks may be dropped off from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays, to 1 p.m. Fridays at 20 Mill St., Paterson. Financial donations of $20, which will provide a backpack and supplies for one child, may be sent to the United Way or made at its Web site, unitedwaypassaic.org. Business and community groups interested in conducting a collection to benefit the campaign may obtain a how-to kit by calling 973-279-8900, ext. 14, or visiting united waypassaic.org. Donations will be accepted through Aug. 15.
* Volunteers for Special Games Special People, an afternoon of sports activities for those with physical or developmental disabilities from 12:30 to 2:30 Sept. 7 at the Jewish Community Center on the Palisades in Tenafly. Tasks include setting up, cleaning up, running the events and assisting the participants. Contact Teresa Stahl, 201-569-7900, ext. 626, or [email protected], by Aug. 15.
* Non-perishable food items for a collection to benefit the Center for Food Action in Mahwah. Donations may be dropped off from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, to 5:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays through Aug. 29 at Kids Clubhouse, 85 Godwin Ave., Midland Park. Information, 201-670-4464.
Notices may be sent to Lorraine Matys at [email protected] All information, including a phone contact, must be received at least two weeks prior to publication date. Notices also may be mailed to Matys at The Record, 150 River St., Hackensack, NJ 07601, or faxed to 201-457-2520.
(c) 2008 Record, The; Bergen County, N.J.. Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning. All rights Reserved.