Get Some Bluegrass at Allison Creek
By Mary Jo Balasco
Allison Creek Bluegrass resumes at 6:30 tonight with the Newfire Bluegrass Band of Simpsonville at Allison Creek Presbyterian Church, 5780 Allison Creek Road, York. Donations are accepted.
For details, visit www.allisoncreekbluegrass.com.
Skintonz will perform at Main Street Live
Main Street Live in downtown Rock Hill will be from 5:30 to 9 p.m. today at the end of Main Street from Wachovia to the Gettys Center. The Skintonz will perform. Admission is free. In the event of rain, the concert will be rescheduled for the following Thursday.
Teacher exhibit is open at local arts council
The Arts Council of York County has the following exhibits:
* Teacher exhibition, through Sept. 25 in the Perimeter Gallery and Edmund D. Lewandowski Classroom Gallery, Center for the Arts, 121 E. Main St., Rock Hill. Gallery hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. the second and fourth Saturday, and 2 to 4 p.m. the second and fourth Sunday. For details, call 328-2787.
* Robin Y. Zavada painting exhibition, through Aug. 31 at the City Hall Rotunda Gallery, 155 Johnston St., Rock Hill. Hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Two local churches host Christian concerts
The following concerts will be at area churches:
* Christian rock band Within the Red will perform at 6 p.m. Sunday in the Core at St. John’s United Methodist Church, 321 S. Oakland Ave., Rock Hill. Admission is free. For details, visit www.myspace.com/shawnbilton.
* Gospel group Voices in Praise, comprised of youth from South Pointe High School, will perform at 4 p.m. Sunday at Nazareth Baptist Church in Rock Hill. Admission is free.
PRT travel group planning Vermont trip
The Rock Hill Parks, Recreation and Tourism’s Happy Travelers group is accepting registration for the Vermont Culinary Masterpiece trip Oct. 16 through 21. Cost is $845 per person. Registration has been extended to Sept. 1 at the PRT office at City Hall from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday or mail to City of Rock Hill, Carolyn Snyder, P.O. Box 11706, Rock Hill, S.C. 29731. For details, call Carolyn at 329-5626 or 329-5620 or visit www.rockhillrocks.com.
Back to school bash is planned at library
York County Library will have its third annual Back to School Bash from 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday at the library, 138 E. Black St., Rock Hill. The event will feature crafts, refreshments, information on library resources, door prizes and free school supplies. For details, call 981-5860.
River Ramblers series continues at museum
The Museum of York County will have the next installment in the River Ramblers series, Worth Mountain Park and Pinckneyville, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. For details, call Steve Fields at 329-2121 or e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cost is $20 CHM members; $25 non-members. Register by calling Barbara Ardrey at (803) 981-9182 or e-mail email@example.com.
Auditions planned by Yorkville drama group
The Young Yorkville Players will have auditions for “Charlotte’s Web” at 7 p.m. Aug. 11 and 12 at the McCelvey Center, 212 E. Jefferson St., York. Play rights are pending. If rights cannot be obtained, the production will be “Aladdin.” Adults and young actors are needed. For details, call (866) 334-0064 or visit www.yorkvilleplayers.com.
Pottery center hosts Aug. 16 workshop
The Peter Rose Pottery workshop will be from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 16 at the Rock Hill Pottery Center, 201 E. Main St. Cost is $50. Registration deadline is Aug. 13. For details, call the center at 980-3888 or the Arts Council at 328-2787 or visit www.yorkcountyarts.org.
Vehicle auction is Saturday in York
York County will have a vehicle auction at 9 a.m. Saturday on S.C. 5 in York, beside the York County Animal Shelter. For details, call 684-8520 or visit the purchasing department site at www.yorkcountygov.com.
Bearcat band has parent preview
Rock Hill High School Band of Distinction will conclude band camp with a parent and public preview at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the school,320 W. Springdale Road, Rock Hill.
Benefits planned at area locations
These events are happening:
* Miracle Treat Day, from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. today at Dairy Queen, 2260 Cross Pointe Drive, Rock Hill, across from the Rock Hill Galleria. All store profits from today will be donated to Children’s Miracle Network. For details, call the store at 980- 1006.
* A fundraising barbecue and raffle to repair weather damage to the Pilgrims’ Inn building will be from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the Wachovia building on Main Street in downtown Rock Hill. The event is sponsored by Fire and Ice HVAC and Omni Fitness.
* A benefit ride for Randy Ashworth, to help with medical expenses related to a liver transplant, will be Saturday at the Ponderosa, 3040 Cherry Road, Rock Hill. Sign up is from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Cost is $15 single and $20 couple. For details, call Vicky Starnes at (803) 287-2336 or the Ponderosa at 366-2258.
* ERA Wilder Realty of Rock Hill will have a yard and bake sale from 7:30 a.m. to noon Saturday at the office, 850 Cherry Road, Rock Hill. Proceeds benefit the Muscular Dystrophy Association. For details, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 329-2151.
* A benefit concert presented by Music for Humanity in partnership with Habitat for Humanity of York County will be at 7:30 p.m. Saturday in Barnes Recital Hall, Conservatory of Music, Winthrop University. Local singer Kristopher Irmiter, artist Audrey Babcock and others will perform. Tickets are available for a minimum donation of $10 each and are available at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore, 825 N. Anderson Road, Rock Hill or the administrative office, 1034 Charlotte Ave., Rock Hill. For details, call 328-1728.
* Alpine Lodge No. 208 will host a hot dog sale from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at Alpine Masonic Lodge, 502 N. Main St., Clover. Hot dogs are $1.25 each and can be made to order. Eat-in or carry- out are available. For details, call Kathy Wallace at 222-3516.
* A charity car wash to help with medical expenses for the family of Matthew Fuller Yarbrough will be 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the car wash at Cherry and Dorchester Roads in Rock Hill. Tickets are $8. For more information, call (803) 280-6309 or visit www.caringbridge.org/visit/matthewyarbrough.
Families, school grads are planning reunions
The following families/alumni announce information:
* The Childers family will have a reunion at 11 a.m. Saturday at Trinity United Methodist Church, 22 E. Liberty St., York. Admission is $10 adults, $7 ages 6 and older and free for children younger than 6. Payment should be mailed to J. W. Childers at 7213 Coachmaker Road, Columbia SC 29209. For details call Childers at (803) 776-0488 or email@example.com.
* The Emmett Scott class of 1969 will meet at 4 p.m. Sunday at the Trinity Baptist Church annex, 803 Crawford Road, Rock Hill. For details, call Betty Gordon at 328-2283 or Addie Clyburn at (803) 817- 7574.
Back to school seminar offered at church
Youth Outreach Ministries at Boyd Hill Baptist Church will have a seminar, Spiritual Preparation for Back to School, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at the church Family Life Center, 315 Glenn St., Rock Hill. For transportation call (803) 322-3722; for details, call the church 327-2422.
Local Shrine group id hosting dance
The York County Crescent Shrine Club will not have steak night during August. A 10 K dance will be Aug. 16 with entertainment by the Looks EZ Band. Steak night will resume Sept. 20 and every third Saturday of each month. For details, call Barry at 684-4117.
Catawba Nation reschedules meeting
Catawba Indian Nation has canceled its general council meeting scheduled for Saturday. It is rescheduled for 10 a.m. Aug. 23.
Deadline for the Thursday columns is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for Sunday is 5 p.m. Wednesday.
(c) 2008 Herald; Rock Hill, S.C.. Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning. All rights Reserved.