September 22, 2008
Support the SPCA and walk for the animalsThe SPCA's "Walk for the Animals" event will be held today from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Northeast Delta Dental.
- A "McDonald's Night" will be held Tuesday from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Fisherville Road restaurant. All proceeds from this event will be used for educational programs at the elementary school.
- The elementary school will hold an open house Thursday from 6 to 7 p.m. All parents and friends of the elementary school are invited to see the classrooms.
- A rummage sale and bake sale will be held Saturday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the United Church.
Classic car show to be held Saturday
The Bektash Shriners of New Hampshire's 5th annual classic car show will be held Saturday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Wal-Mart.
Show vehicles cost $8 to enter and admission is free for spectators. For more information, call Mal Clapp at 746-2928.
- The Kiwanis Club will meet tomorrow at noon at the Cat 'n' Fiddle Restaurant.
- "The Sky Down Under" will be presented Friday at 7 p.m. at the Christa McAuliffe Planetarium. See the Southern Cross in New Hampshire, as you journey to the South Pole in the comfort of the planetarium theater. You will explore the southern hemisphere's stars and constellations with Planetarium Educator Kevin Finefrock as your guide. For more information, call 271-7827.
- The antiquarian book fair will be held today from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Everett Arena. For more information, call Gary Crooker at 654-5688.
A gem and mineral show will be held Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sept. 28 from at 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information, call Gordon Jackson at 783-4493.
- The senior center will host a walking group and bingo tomorrow. Doris Ballard of WKXL and CCTV will appear as a guest speaker Wednesday at 11 a.m. Bridge, beginner line dancing and line dancing will be held Friday. The senior program is open to all seniors ages 50 years and older and there is no cost to join. For more information, visit onconcord.com/recreation or call 225-8690.
- The recreation department's adult co-ed soccer league is looking for additional women players to sign up. The cost to join is $42, $52 for nonresidents. League games are held Sundays at 1 p.m. at Keach Field.
For more information, call Karen Billings at 225-8690 or e-mail [email protected]
- Tour the Forest Society's Energy Efficient Conservation Center Oct. 4 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
This event will be held in conjunction with the 2008 Green Buildings Open House, a national celebration of sustainable building design.
- Fall leaf pick-up starts in October.
Feast on lobster and chicken Saturday
West Congregational Church will hold a lobster and chicken dinner Saturday at 5:30 p.m. Tickets are $16 for a single lobster, $24 for a double lobster and $8 for chicken. Dinner also includes corn on the cob, salads, rolls, beverages and dessert. Purchase you advance tickets by calling 224-4142.
- The Concord City Democrats will meet Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the Democratic Coordinated Campaign Headquarters at 2 1/2 Beacon St. All Democrats and their guests are welcome. For more information, call John at 568-7904.
- As a part of a series to celebrate AARP's 50th anniversary through a theme of connecting generations, a free workshop will be held Tuesday from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. at the AARP office on Main Street. This workshop will be about getting ready for digital TV and will be presented by Bob Denz. Registration is required. Call 224- 6095 for more information or to register.
- The Outing and Social Network of New England will host a Concord area planning and welcome dinner Wednesday at 6 p.m. at the Barley House. Reservations are required. Call 225-2344 or visit osnetworkne.org for more information or to reserve your spot.
- Toddler tales will begin Tuesday at 10 a.m. at the library and will run each week through Oct. 28. Through stories, finger plays, songs and activities, each toddler will enjoy learning together. Registration is not required. For more information, call 230-3690.
- Quarterly property taxes are due on or before Oct. 1.
- Happy birthday to Paul Beaulieu!
BNI Partners for Success won a national award
At the first annual New Hampshire Region Business Network International Conference, BNI Partners for Success of Concord was awarded the BNI Founders Award for 2008, for being in the top 10 percent of all chapters throughout the United States. BNI Partners for Success was also awarded the Chapter of the Year Award out of 36 New Hampshire chapters. Sandi Duval was awarded the BNI Partners for Success Member of the Year award. BNI is an international organization teaching businesses and salespeople how to grow their business. For more information or to visit a chapter meeting, call 848-4500.
- The Concord Area Trust for Community Housing will host a ribbon cutting and dedication ceremony of Friedman Court II, which offers 41 new, affordable apartments for low income seniors ages 62 and older, Tuesday at 4 p.m. RSVP or for more information, call Caitlin at 225-8835, ext. 023.
- Conant Elementary School's "Back to School Night" has been rescheduled to Oct. 8 from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. for kindergarten through fifth grade.
- September birthday wishes this week to Maria Buckman.
Sandi Collins Duval
Originally published by Monitor staff.
(c) 2008 Concord Monitor. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.