Lincolnshire Health Unveils Plans for Care in the County
Hospitals in the county were facing closure and cuts on October 3, 1996.
But Lincoln County was to get extra services out of the shake- up, it was revealed.
Lincolnshire Health unveiled its long-awaited plans for the future of health care in the county.
It said it planned to concentrate services at Lincoln, Boston and Grantham hospitals.
Smaller sites including Gainsborough and Louth would see departments close and transferred and Honcastle Memorial Hospital was to close.
The 100-page report focused primarily on the accident and emergency departments.
It was revealed that John Coupland Hospital in Gainsborough would have limited casualty facilities with no full-time doctor on duty.
Louth was also to have reduced accident and emergency provision.
Full casualty operations would be located at Lincoln, Boston and Grantham.
The Lincolnshire Health document covered all aspects of healthcare and was the result of a detailed study of all services in the county.
Following the announcement a three month consultation period was to take place which would give the public and health professionals the chance to have their say.
If the recommendations were accepted, Lincolnshire Health claimed that the majority of patients would not notice any change.
Health bosses described the announcement as “momentous”.
Chairman of Lincolnshire Health John Jenkinson told a packed press conference that the review was an exciting move in the county.
And chief executive Brian Mayhew-Smith said only a small number of people would be hit by the cuts.
The changes had been instigated after financial pressures on the health authority.
The focus of the review was the services to be offered at Lincoln, Boston and Grantham with the smaller hospitals providing out-patient care, some in-patient care and treatment of minor ailments.
A month later the cuts were actioned.
(c) 2008 Lincolnshire Echo. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.