October 3, 2008
The Central Virginia Post-Polio Support Group will meet Saturday from 2 to 4 p.m. at Children's Hospital, 2924 Brook Road. Joe Thomas will conduct a group exercise/discussion on challenges and solutions for support groups.
For details, call (804) 740-6833 or visit www.cvppsg.org.
The Alzheimer's Association is offering these programs:
- "Humor, Caregiver Stress and Tips for the Holidays," Tuesday, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Hermitage Green, 7080 Brooks Farm Road.
- "Maintain Your Brain," Oct. 14, 10 to 11 a.m., A Grace Place, 8030 Staples Mill Road; Oct. 22, 10 a.m. to noon, Midlothian Public Library, 521 Coalfield Road; Oct. 30, 4 to 4:45 p.m., Circle Center Adult Day Services, 3900 W. Broad St., Suite 20.
- "Dementia 101" ($20 for series). The series is presented at Bon Air Baptist Church, 2520 Buford Road, 6:15 to 7:15 p.m., Oct. 15, 22, 29, Nov. 5 and 12.
- "Managing Challenging Behaviors," Oct. 21, 6 to 7 p.m., Spring Arbor of Salisbury, 14001 Turnberry Lane.
- "Forgetfulness: When Is It a Problem?" Oct. 29, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Tuckahoe Presbyterian Church, 7000 Park Ave.
To register, call (804) 967-2580. LOOKUP Blepharospasm group
Dr. Philip Davenport will be the speaker at the Central Virginia Blepharospasm support group meeting from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday in the Williamsburg Room at Henrico Doctors' Hospital (Forest).
For details, call Paula Nichols at (804) 740-2936.
Fire prevention day
Children's Hospital of Richmond and Kohl's Department Stores will have their 15th annual Fire Prevention Day Tuesday from 10 a.m. to noon on the hospital's front lawn at 2924 Brook Road.
The program is to help prevent fire-related deaths and educate young children on fire safety.
For details or to participate in Fire Prevention Day, contact Elana Flanigan at (804) 321-7474, ext. 6077 or [email protected]
Breast cancer group
The Breast Cancer Support Group meets every Wednesday at the Hawthorne Cancer Education and Resource Center at CJW Medical Center (Johnston-Willis), from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at 1459 Johnston Willis Drive.
For details, call Robin Yoder at (804) 330-2136. LOOKUP Gluten intolerance
The West End Gluten Intolerance Group will meet tomorrow at 7 p.m. at Trinity United Methodist Church,
903 Forest Ave.
For details, contact Madelyn Smith at (804) 968-4111 or
The National Alliance on Mental Illness of Virginia will have its third annual 5K walk-a-thon to educate the public about mental illness and reduce the stigma associated with it.
The event will be Saturday in Innsbrook at the picnic area. Registration will start at 9:30 a.m. and the walk starts at 10:30.
For details, call Mira Signer at (804) 678-9802 or
Items for Health Notes should be sent at least one week before publication. They can be sent to Lee Barnes, Richmond Times- Dispatch, P.O. Box 85333, Richmond, VA 23293 or e-mailed to [email protected]
MEMO: HEALTH NOTES
(c) 2008 Richmond Times - Dispatch. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.