October 4, 2008
Inquest Closes into Lethal Jab Death
THE inquest into the death of a grandmother who was given a lethal injection by a student nurse has closed.
Edna Alker, 91, of Orrell, died after receiving a fatal dose of potassium chloride by trainee nurse Rebecca Riley.
The John Moores university student had misunderstood instructions from her supervisor and had administered the injection in one go instead of over the course of a few hours, the inquest heard.
Ms Riley was a week off completing her training at the high dependency unit at Whiston hospital, where Mrs Alker died.
The pensioner had a successful abdominal operation before being injected with the drug.
Dr Gill Edwards, Mrs Alker's daughter, spoke of the family's horror at her death.
She said: "Mum seemed to have been given a lethal overdose by a student nurse.
"CPR commenced for 20 minutes, but her brain had suffered irreparable damage.
"The worst part was having to see my daughter watch her beloved grandmother slip away."
The court finished hearing evidence on Thursday and Merseyside coroner Christopher Sumner is expected to deliver a narrative verdict next Friday.
(c) 2008 Liverpool Echo. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.