Quantcast

Holiday decor can cause injury, fire

December 13, 2008

U.S. safety experts advise using non-combustible or flame-resistant decorating materials during the holidays.

Health and safety professionals at the American Industrial Hygiene Association warn that candles should be used with care.

Keep candles away from decorations, curtains and drapes or other combustibles, the experts say in a statement. Never display lighted candles in windows or near exits and never use lit candles as tree decorations or near cut greenery. Always keep candles, matches and lighters out of the reach of children and do not leave children unattended in a room with lit candles.

Care with children should be used with other decorations as well. Avoid decorations that are sharp, breakable, resemble food or have small removable parts or pose other choking hazards.

Wear gloves if decorating with spun glass angel hair’ they say, and to avoid lung irritation, follow the instructions when using artificial snow sprays.


Source: upi



comments powered by Disqus