Avantis Medical Systems Announces Key Addition to Scientific Advisory Board
Dr. Yamamoto to provide guidance for global market development.
“We are privileged that Dr. Yamamoto has elected to join Avantis Medical’s Scientific Advisory Board. Dr. Yamamoto is a renowned gastroenterologist with over 25 years of clinical experience. He will provide us with insight to facilitate global market adoption of the Third Eye(R) Retroscope(R),” said
Dr. Yamamoto is the chairman and chief of the Department of Endoscopic Research and International Education at Jichi Medical University, Tochigi,
“The prevalence of colorectal cancer is increasing rapidly in
Colonoscopy is widely regarded as the “gold standard” for detection of abnormalities in the colon. However, research has revealed that 12-24 percent of polyps and a significant number of cancers can be missed during colonoscopy.(1)(2)(3)
A recent multi-center study led by Dr.
The Third Eye Retroscope is indicated for use with colonoscopy to provide the physician with an additional view of the colon for diagnostic and detection purposes. When the Third Eye is deployed through the instrument channel of a standard colonoscope, it provides the physician with a retrograde view of the colon along with the forward (colonoscope) view. Operating as a “rear view mirror” the Third Eye helps visualize blind spots in the colon that may not be seen with the colonoscope alone. The device is commercially available to physicians who perform colonoscopies.
About Avantis Medical Systems, Inc. and Third Eye(R) Retroscope(R)
Avantis Medical Systems, Inc. is focused on delivering cost effective solutions for improved detection and prevention of cancers of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. The company’s FDA cleared, CE Marked, Third Eye Retroscope is a novel, disposable, chip-on-catheter digital imaging device, designed to complement visualization provided by most standard colonoscopes for detection of cancer in the colon.
The “chip-on-catheter” platform of the Third Eye Retroscope is also the basis for other products under development by Avantis Medical to screen, assess and treat cancers throughout the body. Avantis Medical has an extensive portfolio of patents covering innovative devices based on the convergent technologies of micro-chips, enhanced video processing and catheter based delivery systems. For more information, visit www.avantismedical.com or www.getthirdeye.com.
(1) Pickhardt, P.J.; Nugent, P.A.; Mysliwiec, P.A.; et al. Location of adenomas missed by optical colonoscopy. Annals of Internal Medicine 141(5):352-360, 2004.
(2) Pabby, A.; Schoen, R.E.; Weissfeld, J.L.; et al. Analysis of colorectal cancer occurrence during surveillance colonoscopy in the dietary Polyp Prevention Trial. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 61(3):385-391, 2005.
(3) Rex, D.K.; Cutler, C.S.; Lemmel, G.T.; et al. Colonoscopic miss rates of adenomas determined by back-to-back colonoscopies. Gastroenterology 112(1):24-28, 1997.
(4) Waye, J.D.; Rex, D.K.; et al. The Third Eye Retroscope Auxiliary Endoscopy System Improves Detection of Polyps in the Colon – A Prospective Efficacy Evaluation. Endoscopy Supplement No. I(40): A24, OP1111, 2008.
(6) Study on file with Avantis Medical Systems, Inc.
SOURCE Avantis Medical Systems, Inc.