As the Weather Warms Up Rattlesnakes Come Out to Enjoy the Sun Just as Californians Do
The California Poison Control System Warns that Snake Bites are Becoming More Powerful and Patient Reactions Have Increased
“Over the past couple of years we have seen an increase in powerful snake bites and that patient reactions to the bites have become more severe,” said
To protect against rattlesnake bites, the CPCS provides the following tips:
- Keep children and pets close by when outdoors.
- Stay on trails when hiking, and look carefully where you step.
- Do not pick up or disturb a snake, even if it appears dead.
- Do not reach into holes, bushes or anywhere that is hidden.
If bitten, symptoms of a severe bite include:
- Extreme pain at the location of the bite
- Swelling in the mouth and throat making it difficult to breathe
- Collapse and shock
If bitten by a rattlesnake immediate medical treatment is critical, the CPCS provides the following tips:
- Call 911 immediately. Administering an antivenom is the best treatment.
- Do not apply ice, use a tourniquet or apply suction to the wound.
- Immobilize the wounded area.
- Move slowly.
Each year almost 300 snake bites are reported to the California Poison Control System alone. The California Poison Control System (CPCS) is available at www.calpoison.org or by calling 1-800-222-1222, 24 hours a day, seven days a week for immediate expert help and information in case of poison exposure.
The California Poison Control System at 1-800-222-1222 has trained and certified pharmacists, nurses and Poison Information Providers to quickly help you 24/7. The service is free and confidential, and interpreters for over 100 languages are always available.
The CPCS has four Divisions located at – UC Davis Medical Center in
SOURCE California Poison Control System