Several health benefits from dairy foods
Consuming the recommended servings of dairy foods daily is a convenient and affordable way to get key nutrients, U.S. researchers said.
In a supplement to the current issue of the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, several nutrition researchers weigh in on an updated review of the health benefits of consuming dairy foods.
Milk, cheese and yogurt provide a package of nine essential nutrients at a low-cost per serving. The review said consuming three to four daily servings of dairy foods contribute to several health benefits including:
– Children and adolescents between the ages of 9-18 need, on average, four servings of dairy foods a day to meet calcium recommendations and at least three servings to meet magnesium recommendations.
– Studies continue to show dairy foods provide a unique nutrient package beneficial for bone mass and bone health.
– Low-fat and fat-free dairy foods help lower blood pressure and prevent hypertension.
– Dairy foods may favorably impact body composition and weight maintenance.
– Americans consistently do not consume enough of including calcium, potassium and magnesium, which are all contained in dairy foods.
Information on the supplement to the Journal of the American College of Nutrition was provided by the National Dairy Council.