Online calculator rates snacks
Snack choices do not have to be a road to obesity and can help provide nutrients needed for a balanced diet, U.S. researchers suggest.
Researchers at the Center for Healthy Weight and Nutrition at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio, developed Snackwise (snackwise.org/news.cfm) — a research-based snack rating system that calculates nutrient density in snack foods.
All too often, we see parents and kids make the common mistake of considering only calories, fat and sometimes sugar when making a decision about a snack food, Dr. Robert Murray, director of the center, said in a statement.
What’s unique about the Snackwise online calculator, is that it places a greater value on nutrient-rich foods.
The center lists top healthy vending snacks based on data as submitted by snack food manufacturers and distributors:
– NutriPals Fruit Bars, Strawberry.
– CLIF Kid Organic Z Bar, Peanut Butter.
– Quaker Oatmeal To Go for Kids, Apple Cinnamon.
– NutriPals Snack Bars, Peanut Butter Chocolate.
– Herbalife Protein Bar, Chocolate Fudge.
– Power Bar Pria Complete Nutrition Bar, Chocolate Peanut Butter Crisp.
– VitaMuffin VitaTops, all flavors.
– Solo Nutrition Bar, Chocolate Charger and Mint Mania.
– South Beach Living Cereal Bars, Peanut Butter, Cinnamon Raisin, Cranberry Almond, Maple Nut, Chocolate.
– South Beach Living Snack Bar Delights, Chocolate Raspberry.