Urgent(R) PC and Macroplastique(R) Abstracts Accepted for Presentation at Society for Urodynamics and Female Urology 2010 Annual Meeting
MINNEAPOLIS, Nov. 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ — Uroplasty, Inc. (AMEX: UPI), a medical device company developing, manufacturing and marketing innovative proprietary products for the treatment of voiding dysfunctions, today announced that nine abstracts outlining study results submitted by various researchers have been accepted for presentation at the 2010 Annual Meeting of the Society for Urodynamics and Female Urology (SUFU), February 23-27, 2010 in St. Petersburg, FL. Presentations accepted were for both Uroplasty’s UrgentÃ‚® PC Neuromodulation System and MacroplastiqueÃ‚® urethral bulking agent products.
Accepted UrgentÃ‚® PC presentations include:
- “New Efficacy Data on Percutaneous Tibial Nerve Stimulation: A Multi-Center, Randomized, Sham-Controlled Trial for Overactive Bladder Syndrome” presented by Kenneth M. Peters, MD, Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI. Uroplasty commonly refers to this clinical study as the SUmiT trial.
- “Comparative Effectiveness: Percutaneous Tibial Nerve Stimulation (PTNS) and Sacral Nerve Stimulation (SNS) for Overactive Bladder (OAB) Treatment” presented by Scott MacDiarmid MD, Alliance Urology Specialists, Greensboro, NC.
- “Percutaneous Tibial Nerve Stimulation for the Treatment of Overactive Bladder: Treatment Interval Frequency” presented by Scott MacDiarmid MD, Alliance Urology Specialists, Greensboro, NC. These results are from the 12-month OrBIT Trial.
- “Percutaneous Tibial Nerve Stimulation (PTNS), Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation (PFR) and Electrical Stimulation (ES) in the Treatment of Urinary Incontinence” presented by Earl Surwit, MD, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ.
- “Percutaneous Tibial Nerve Stimulation Double-Blinded, Randomized, Sham-Controlled Trial for Overactive Bladder: Effect on Fecal Incontinence” presented by Kenneth M. Peters, MD, Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI.
“The additional clinical study data presented on our Urgent PC Neuromodulation System strongly support the efficacy of this innovative and minimally invasive therapy,” said David Kaysen, President and CEO of Uroplasty. “This will be the first presentation by Dr. Kenneth M. Peters, lead investigator, of the results of the recently completed SUmiT Trial. This pivotal randomized, double-blind study compared PTNS to a validated sham procedure for OAB treatment. We will use these results in support of our application to obtain a unique CPT code for Urgent PC treatments. We will also continue to present these high quality studies to the medical directors of U.S. third-party payers to build awareness for coverage and reimbursement for this unique and efficacious therapy,” continued Mr. Kaysen.
Accepted Macroplastique presentations include:
- “Durability of MacroplastiqueÃ‚® Injection for Female Stress Urinary Incontinence: Two Years Experience” presented by Jacques Corcos, MD, McGill University, Montreal, Canada.
- “Long Term Durability of Polydimethylsiloxane Injectable Bulking Agent (MacroplastiqueÃ‚®) in Urethral Tissues: Animal Study Histopathology” presented by William Wustenberg, DVM, AlterNetMD Consulting, Farmington, MN.
- “Improved Outcomes in Patients with Transient Urinary Retention After Macroplastique Urethral Bulking Procedure” presented by Elizabeth Williams, MD, Metropolitan Urology Specialists, St. Paul, MN.
- “Urethral Bulking Agents Used in the United States: How Are They Analyzed?” by Gamal Ghoniem, MD, Cleveland Clinic, Weston, FL.
“The presentations highlight the durability and efficacy of Macroplastique, our ‘Gold Standard’ urethral bulking agent. As the long-standing market leader in Europe, Macroplastique has quickly gained acceptance with physicians and increased market share in the U.S. We anticipate the strong interest in this product segment to continue to grow as physicians and patients search for lasting solutions for female stress urinary incontinence,” concluded Mr. Kaysen.
About Uroplasty, Inc.
Uroplasty, Inc., headquartered in Minnetonka, Minnesota, with wholly-owned subsidiaries in The Netherlands and the United Kingdom, is a medical device company that develops, manufactures and markets innovative proprietary products for the treatment of voiding dysfunctions. Our primary focus is the commercialization of our UrgentÃ‚® PC system, which we believe is the only FDA-approved non-surgical neurostimulation therapy for the treatment of urinary symptoms often associated with overactive bladder (OAB). We also offer MacroplastiqueÃ‚® Implants, a urethral bulking agent for the treatment of adult female stress urinary incontinence. Please visit Uroplasty, Inc. at www.uroplasty.com.
This press release contains forward-looking statements, which reflect our best estimates regarding future events and financial performance. These forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from our anticipated results. We discuss in detail the factors that may effect the achievement of our forward-looking statements in our Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the SEC. Further, we cannot assure you that we will timely obtain, or even succeed at all at obtaining, a specific “listed” CPT reimbursement code from the AMA for Urgent PC treatments, and that even if we succeed at obtaining a CPT code third-party payors will provide or continue to provide coverage and reimbursement, or reimburse the providers an amount sufficient to cover their costs and expenses. We further cannot assure that reimbursement or other issues will not further impact our fiscal 2010 results.
For Further Information: Uroplasty, Inc. David Kaysen, President and CEO, or Medi Jiwani, Vice President, CFO, and Treasurer, 952.426.6140 EVC Group Doug Sherk (Investors) 415.896.6820 Chris Gale (Media) 646.201.5431
SOURCE Uroplasty, Inc.