January 6, 2011
Independa Launches Smart Reminders Service at CES 2011 – First Step Toward a New Era in Independent Living
SAN DIEGO, Jan. 6, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Independa(TM), Inc. ("Independa") announced today at CES 2011 the immediate availability of a free trial offer for its Smart Reminders(TM) service, launching its technology-enabled independent living system for family caregivers.
The Independa Smart Reminders service combines patent-pending Smart Calendar, Medication Reminders and Life Stories services with a reminder system that connects caregivers with their aging loved ones, providing them with the ease of mind that their loved ones are safe, healthy and socially engaged while remaining independent. Elderly loved ones require no technical knowledge to use Independa; they simply use a telephone.
Because it's dangerous to forget to take one's medications as prescribed, Smart Reminders unburdens caregivers of the worry that their loved ones are doing so. According to AARP, nearly one in four older adults age 65+ skips doses of medication or does not fill prescriptions because of cost, and suffers worse health as a result; older people who forget to take their pills or accidentally take them more than prescribed increase the risk for dangerous drug interactions; and older people who forget to take their medications have health issues and fall 50 percent more often than those who take medications as prescribed. By sending timely medication reminders to a telephone, the Independa Medication Reminders service helps reduce these risks and relieve caregiver concerns.
The Smart Calendar helps caregivers know that those they are caring for will no longer miss important appointments or events. With Smart Calendar, elderly loved ones will always know about medical, social or personal appointments or pending events. This service provides:
- A browser-based calendar for the caregiver - The Web-based calendar is simple to use and provides a convenient way to schedule recurring events.
- Telephone-based reminders for the care receiver - The person being cared for does not use a computer. Calendar events set up by the caregiver are received via telephone reminders.
- Flexible reminders - Both the caregiver and the loved one can be notified by telephone call, e-mail, SMS text message, or any combination of those means.
- Timely alerts - The caregiver can be sent alerts if the loved one does not confirm that the reminder has been received and appropriately acted upon. This allows the caregiver to get involved when most needed - when something may not be quite right.
Similarly, Medication Reminders helps caregivers be certain that those they are caring for don't forget to take critical medications. Using the intuitive interface, this service provides:
- A browser-based interface for the caregiver - The caregiver enters the elderly loved one's medications using a simple, quick process.
- Automated scheduling for telephone reminders - Calls to the care receiver are scheduled automatically by the system.
- Timely alerts - Caregivers can be sent alerts if the loved one does not confirm that the reminder has been received and appropriately acted upon.
- Powerful reports - Caregivers can look back over weeks, months or years and see what medications were active during what time periods. This report is invaluable to them, as well as to doctors and pharmacists with whom they may share it.
Life Stories is a unique, easy-to-use service that lets caregivers record conversations on memorable topics with their loved ones, preserving memories that can be shared with family members and others for years and generations to come.
"Naturally we all want to age in place and remain independent as long as possible," said Dr. Rosemary Laird, geriatrician and author of Take Your Oxygen First. "Children caring for their aging parents can play a vital role supporting them in this desire. Aging members of our society want to remain as independent as possible, while their children want to help them manage their finances, healthcare and social needs. Staying connected is the key for elders who want to continue living safe, healthy and rewarding lives in the comfort and familiarity of their own home."
"Independa provides greater safety, social connectivity and dignity for elderly loved ones; greater peace of mind for their family caregivers; and all-around significant cost savings versus the available alternatives," said Independa CEO Kian Saneii. "We are transforming how family caregivers support their elderly loved ones, providing a cost-effective and real- time answer to the question, 'How is my loved one doing?'"
Smart Reminders is available immediately for a free six-week trial. Ongoing subscriptions start at $19.95 per month.
For more information or to sign up for the program, visit www.independa.com. This brief video provides a summary of the Smart Reminders service. More information on Independa is available at www.independa.com/press.
The Independa Smart Reminders later this year will be joined by an Android-based wireless tablet, named "Angela," which will connect with wireless home and health sensors in the care receiver's home. The touch-screen-tablet interface will communicate with various wireless sensors while providing online reporting and monitoring. The tablet also is designed to provide reminders and emergency alerts to caregivers.
Independa markets directly to family caregivers and is actively recruiting care-management partners.
At CES 2011, the Independa team will demonstrate Smart Reminders, as well as an Angela prototype. On Thursday, Jan. 6, Independa will exhibit and hold briefings at CES in the Qualcomm booth, located in the South Hall, Upper # 30313, as well as that evening at ShowStoppers, from 6-10 p.m. PST at The Wynn Hotel (Lafite Ballroom, Table 21). Stop by to learn more or sign up for a free trial of Smart Reminders.
About Independa, Inc.
Independa, Inc. provides an integrated platform to help caregivers help their loved ones stay at home longer, safer and more comfortably. Independa delivers technology-enabled independent living products and services for the rapidly growing population of nearly 50 million family caregivers supporting elderly loved ones. Independa provides an integrated, cost-effective and real-time answer to the key question, "How is my loved one doing?" With Independa, caregivers can delay or eliminate the costly and dreaded move to an assisted living facility.
Independa's cross-disciplined leadership team and expert advisory board understand the market, technology and needs of the elderly and their caregivers. Privately held and based in San Diego, Independa has closed its second seed round and is in active discussions with next-stage investors and strategic partners.
SOURCE Independa, Inc.