The Electro-Nail – Better Design for Faster Healing. ICAP Ocean Tomo Announces Auction of an Advanced Electro-Nail Implant System for Electro-Magnetic Bone Stimulation in Orthopedics
CHICAGO, March 15, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — Developed by Neue Magnetodyn and represented by ICAP Ocean Tomo, this portfolio represents the second lot available from Neue Magnetodyn that will be auctioned at ICAP Ocean Tomo’s Spring 2011 Live IP Auction event March 31st in New York City. The assets of this lot disclose an advanced electro-nail implant system used for electro-magnetic bone stimulation.
Key Characteristics & Benefits
This patent discloses the following:
- An advanced electrically conductive interlocking nail system for treating bone fractures.
- Termed the electro-nail, it is a perfectly standard intramedullary nail system, with an advanced configuration to facilitate quick healing at a fracture site.
- If needed this nail can be “switched on” to become an active device that accelerates wound healing and combats infection for non-union fractures and open wounds.
- The system comprises an intramedullary nail with an electrical coil assembly within one of the end caps. The outer contact surface of the nail is electrically conductive and acts as an electrode.
- Since the electrical coil is placed at one end of the nail system, the introduction of the nail into the broken bone is not obstructed during a surgical operation.
- If not included in the original procedure, the later addition of the inducible active cap is a relatively simple procedure to complete, compared to the replacement of the total nail, if an active device is called for.
- The system also provides many biological advantages:
- 1. Faster consolidation of the fracture.
- 2. Improved mechanical loading capacity, and reduced risk of implant failure as the bone becomes weight bearing earlier.
- 3. Minimized risk of infection.
- 4. Reduced risk of delayed healing or pseudarthrosis.
- 5. Efficient in therapy resistant pseudarthrosis and infected situations
- The electro-nail patent on offer was developed from a well established, CE certified earlier model utilized in many successful implantations.
- Patent coverage is broad and includes issued patents in many major territories including China.
This lot should be of interest to manufacturers of prosthetic devices, orthopedic surgery devices, and biomaterials, and to healthcare service providers.
- The global orthopedic implants market is forecast to grow to $41.8 billion by 2016, while the US orthopedic implants market is expected to be worth $23 billion in 2012. (1)(2)
To learn more about the assets available for sale in this portfolio: Contact Dean Becker of ICAP Ocean Tomo at Dean.Becker@us.icap.com
About ICAP Ocean Tomo LLC
ICAP Ocean Tomo is the intellectual property brokerage division of ICAP and the world’s premier patent auction firm.
ICAP is the world’s premier interdealer broker and provider of post trade services. The Group matches buyers and sellers in the wholesale markets in interest rates, credit, commodities, foreign exchange, emerging markets, equities and equity derivatives through voice and electronic networks. ICAP plc was added to the FTSE 100 Index on 30 June 2006. For more information go to www.icap.com.
(1) http://www.articlesbase.com/ medicine-articles/the-future-of- orthopedic-implants-analysis-and- forecasts-to-2016-2565737.html (2) http://www.reportlinker.com/ p091919/US-Orthopedic-Implants- Market.html
SOURCE ICAP Ocean Tomo