John Hopkins Tops “˜Honor Roll’ Of Best US Hospitals
U.S. News and World Report released its 22nd annual Best Hospitals rankings on Tuesday, with Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore ranking No. 1 on the 2011-2012 "honor roll" of top hospitals.
The paper’s rankings distinguished 720 hospitals out of about 5,000 nationwide, although only 17 earned spots on the Honor Roll, which signifies the highest level of medical excellence.
The rankings are based on a survey of nearly 10,000 specialists, along with performance statistics from nearly 5,000 hospitals in areas such as death rates, patient safety, and hospital reputation.
“These are referral centers where other hospitals send their sickest patients," said Avery Comarow, editor of U.S. News Health Rankings.
"Hospitals like these are ones you or those close to you should consider when the stakes are high."
The 17 hospitals that made the national honor roll include:
1.Â Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
2.Â Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
3.Â Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
4.Â Cleveland Clinic
5.Â Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
6.Â New York-Presbyterian University Hospital of Columbia and Cornell, N.Y.
7.Â UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
8.Â Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston
9.Â Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C.
10.Â Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
11.Â Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University, St. Louis
12.Â UPMC-University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
13.Â University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle
14.Â University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers, Ann Arbor (tie)
15.Â Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville (tie)
16.Â Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York
17.Â Stanford Hospital and Clinics, Stanford, Calif.
The paper also released a list of top hospitals within 16 medical specialties in 94 of the largest U.S. metropolitan areas.Â These include:
- Cancer – University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston.
- Cardiology and Heart Surgery – Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland.
- Diabetes and Endocrinology – Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
- Ear, Nose and Throat – Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore.
- Gastroenterology – Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
- Geriatrics – Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York City.
- Gynecology – Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
- Nephrology – Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
- Neurology and Neurosurgery – John Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore.
- Ophthalmology – Bascom Palmer Eye Institute at the University of Miami.
- Orthopedics – Hospital for Special Surgery, New York City.
- Psychiatry – Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
- Pulmonology – National Jewish Health, Denver-University of Colorado Hospital, Aurora.
- Rehabilitation: – Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago.
- Rheumatology – Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore.
- Urology – Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore.
As part of a larger, upcoming project, the paper will release next Tuesday its “˜Top Doctors’ list — a directory of some 30,000 top rated physicians, searchable by location and hospital affiliation across a wide range of specialties and subspecialties.
The full “Best Hospitals” rankings can be viewed here.