August 4, 2011
Head Lice Returns to School: Five Tips to Avoid Panic and Worry
FLORHAM PARK, N.J., Aug. 4, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- It's back-to-school season and for many families, that means new morning routines, homework and head lice.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/shionogi/50422/(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20110804/MM45457 )
Each year, approximately 6 to 12 million children in the U.S. are infested with this common, six-legged critter that feeds on human blood. After weeks at summer camps, sleepovers and sharing of personal items, back-to-school season usually is the time when head lice infestation is noticed.
"Unfortunately, panic and worry are common reactions when parents discover head lice," according to Adelaide Hebert, M.D., Houston, Texas.
"Out of concern and need to get rid of the infestation quickly, many parents may turn to unproven home remedies or homeopathic products," added Dr. Hebert. "Unfortunately, these home remedies have never been studied, tested, or proven to be safe on children. There also has been resistance reported with some head lice treatment products, which may lead to ineffective treatment."
Dr. Hebert offers parents five tips during head lice season:
- Parents shouldn't panic. In many cases, what parents see on the child's head may not be head lice.
- If parents or school nurse suspect head lice, a visit or call to the child's doctor can confirm the diagnosis.
- Parents should use only products that are recommended by a doctor to treat head lice.
- It's important for parents to carefully follow the doctor's instructions to make sure the treatment was properly applied.
- Because every school policy on head lice differs, it's important for parents to talk with the school nurse. Healthcare professionals recommend that children remain in school since head lice do not transmit disease and are treatable.
For more information about head lice, parents can visit the following websites:
About Shionogi Inc.
Shionogi Inc. is the U.S. affiliate of Shionogi & Co., Ltd., a major research-driven pharmaceutical company, headquartered in Osaka Japan, dedicated to placing the highest value on patients. Shionogi's Research and Development currently targets three therapeutic areas: Infectious Diseases, Pain, and Metabolic Syndrome. In addition, Shionogi is engaged in new research areas such as allergy and cancer. Contributing to the health of patients around the world through development in these therapeutic areas is Shionogi's primary goal. For more information on Shionogi Inc., headquartered in Florham Park, NJ, please visit www.shionogi.com.
SOURCE Shionogi Inc.