Concentra Offers Tips to Protect Against the Flu Before It Arrives
ADDISON, Texas, Sept. 8, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — The flu season is just around the corner, and like the illness itself, it can be very unpredictable. To help keep the flu from infecting you, Concentra, a subsidiary of Humana Inc., is sharing some simple preventive measures every person can take to protect themselves before the flu season is in full swing.
Seasonal influenza, or the flu, is an extremely contagious respiratory infection and often includes symptoms like high fever, cough, and full body aches. Flu symptoms are more severe than those of colds and can cause medical complications that result in an average of 36,000 deaths each year. But there are some easy steps each person can take to protect against the flu:
- Monitor flu outbreaks in your community – Google Flu Trends and the CDC offer weekly updates on areas that show increased cases of influenza.
- Encourage frequent hand washing – flu viruses can live on surfaces for up to 48 hours, so frequent hand washing can help to protect against the influenza viruses, and can protect people from other germs that can cause further complications.
- Cover coughs and sneezes - the flu virus is most easily spread from one person to another through inhaling respiratory droplets expelled by ill persons. Covering coughs and sneezes traps the germs, and keeps the spread of germs to a minimum.
- Get a flu vaccine – this year’s flu vaccines have already been released and have completely new formulations for this year’s strains.
- Seek medical attention for those who display flu-like symptoms – individuals who begin feeling ill, have a high fever, and complain of fatigue should have a medical evaluation, available from Concentra Urgent Care or other medical providers.
“With an all-new flu vaccine available this fall, it’s more important than ever for the public to be protected against influenza,” said Senior Vice President of Medical Operations Bill Lewis, M.D. “By providing employers and patients with influenza vaccine, along with some simple tips to reduce the incidence of seasonal flu cases, physicians and public health officials can focus on limiting the impact of the flu season and keeping patients well.”
Flu shots are available at all Concentra Urgent Care locations across the country. The company is also scheduling flu vaccine clinics at employer worksites across the nation to assist employers in keeping their employees safe and healthy. To learn more information about this year’s seasonal flu strain, including popular myths and facts about influenza, log on to www.concentra.com, or visit your local Concentra medical center.
Concentra, a subsidiary of Humana Inc., is a leading health care company focused on improving America’s health, one patient at a time. Through its affiliated clinicians, the company provides occupational medicine, urgent care, physical therapy, and wellness services from more than 310 medical centers in 40 states. In addition to these medical center locations, Concentra serves employers by providing a broad range of health advisory services and operating more than 260 worksite medical facilities. Through this complement of services, Concentra intends to raise the standard of health by putting individuals first, treating them with clinical excellence, and focusing on their ongoing wellness. www.Concentra.com
Humana Inc., headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky, is a leading health care company that offers a wide range of insurance products and health and wellness services that incorporate an integrated approach to lifelong well-being. By leveraging the strengths of its core businesses, Humana believes it can better explore opportunities for existing and emerging adjacencies in health care that can further enhance wellness opportunities for the millions of people across the nation with whom the company has relationships.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company’s web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders;
- Securities and Exchange Commission filings;
- Most recent investor conference presentations;
- Quarterly earnings news releases;
- Replays of most recent earnings release conference calls;
- Calendar of events (including upcoming earnings conference call dates and times, as well as planned interaction with research analysts and institutional investors);
- Corporate Governance information