October 24, 2005
Cherry products must drop medicinal claims: FDA
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Food and Drug
Administration said on Monday it warned more than two dozen
companies to stop selling cherry products that claim to help
treat or prevent cancer, heart disease, arthritis and other
The agency sent warning letters earlier this month to 29
companies, ordering them immediately to stop making the health
claims on their Web sites and product labels.
juice, and juice concentrate for treating or preventing of a
variety of diseases, including cancer, heart disease, and
arthritis," the FDA said in a statement.
If the companies fail to take corrective measures, they may
face FDA enforcement actions such as seizure of their products
or criminal sanctions.
The following companies were sent the warning letters:
* Amon Orchards, Acme, Mich.
* Brownwood Acres, Eastport, Mich.
* Cherry Lands Best, Appleton, Wis.
* Cherry Republic, Glen Arbor, Mich.
* Cherry Rx, Genoa City, Wis.
* Chukar Cherry Co., Prosser, Wash.
* Coloma Frozen Foods, Coloma, Mich.
* Country Ovens, Ltd., Forestville, Wis.
* Eden Foods Inc, Clinton, Mich.
* Flavenoid Sciences, Traverse City, Mich.
* Friske Orchards, Ellsworth, Mich.
* Heritage Products International, Livonia, Mich.
* H & W Farms, Belding, Mich.
* King Orchards, Central Lake, Mich.
* Leelanau Fruit Co., Suttons Bay, Mich.
* Leland Cherry Co., Leland, Mich.
* Obstbaum Orchards, Salem, Mich.
* Orchard's Harvest, Traverse City, Mich.
* Overlake Foods Corp., Olymica, Wash.
* Payson Fruit Growers, Inc., Payson, Utah
* Rowley and Hawkins Fruit Farms, Basin City, Wash.
* Rowley's South Ridge Farms Inc., Santaquin, Utah.
* Royal Ridge Fruit & Cold Storage, Royal City, Wash.
* Seaquist Orchards, Sister Bay, Wis.
* Skyview Orchards, Ludington, Mich.
* Sunrise Dried Fruit Co., Northport, Mich.
* TPG Enterprises Inc., Othello, Wash.
* Traverse Bay Farms, Bellaire, Mich.