Health News Archive - March 15, 2006
A Tacoma, Wash. woman died last week after contracting flesh-eating bacteria, a close friend of the woman said. Julie Tietel, 52, went to the emergency room at St.
Some call it sport, some call it fun, others swear by its health benefits, rattling off a list that would make a snake-oil salesman blush. Ice swimming will ease arthritis and relieve rheumatism, cure depression and keep colds and flu at bay, devotees say.
Strange behavior by insomniacs taking prescription drugs, ranging from binge eating to having sex while asleep, have raised safety questions about anti-insomnia medications like Sanofi-Aventis' Ambien.
By Madeline Chambers ETON (Reuters) - Every weekday, visitors to the picturesque town of Eton are confronted by dozens of teen-aged boys in tailcoats, pinstripe trousers and stiff white collars swaggering down the street.
The U.S. government will begin publicizing health care prices in hopes that greater transparency will help lower spiraling medical costs, Health and Human Services Secretary Michael Leavitt said on Tuesday.
A vaccine against meningitis A will be tested and if all goes well could be available in the next few years in Africa where the disease kills thousands of people each year, researchers said on Wednesday.
LONDON (Reuters) - A High Court judge on Wednesday refused a request from doctors to turn off a ventilator keeping alive an 18-month-old boy with incurable spinal muscular atrophy.
By Natalie Neysa Alund, The Dominion Post, Morgantown, W.Va. Mar. 15--A preliminary hearing for murder suspect Michelle L. Michael is set for 3 p.m. March 20 in Monongalia County Magistrate Court in front of Magistrate Jennifer Wilson, said a court assistant.
A dog has died of bird flu in Azerbaijan, a country on the crossroads of Europe and Asia where three people have already died from the virus, officials said on Wednesday.
By Clementine Wallace NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Illnesses resulting from mold-exposure are common and important, but a lot of what's currently being blamed on mold exposure is not supported by good medical evidence, researchers assert.
- A ceramic container used inside a fuel-fired kiln to protect pots from the flame.