June 28, 2008
Rice Calls for Additional N. Korean Effort
North Korea must abandon all nuclear programs in order to build upon its declaration of its nuclear efforts, U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice says.
Rice said Saturday that the list provided by North Korea this week did not include specifics regarding the country's alleged attempts at creating highly enriched uranium or its current nuclear weapon arsenal, the Yonhap News Agency said.
As to the other elements, proliferation and the HEU (highly enriched uranium) program, there are documents that are referred to in the declaration concerning those two issues. Thus far we don't have the answers we need about either, Rice said.
The U.S. official said in addition to having the declaration officially verified, North Korean officials should follow the guidelines of last year's multilateral nuclear pact.
At the end of this we have to have the abandonment of all programs, weapons and materials, Rice said.
South Korean Foreign Minister Yu Myung-hwan said his country would assist in the verification process, the South Korean news agency said.
The South Korean government will actively participate in the verification process, as it is important to verify whether the declaration is complete and correct, Yu said.