September 21, 2008
Blaze in China Kills at Least 43
BEIJING (AP) -- A fire that swept through a nightclub in southern China has killed at least 43 people, a government safety official said Sunday.
The fire, which broke out late Saturday, also injured at least 88 people, said the official with the Shenzhen Work Safety Bureau. Like many other Chinese officials, the man refused to give his name.
Shenzhen is just over the border from Hong Kong in Guangdong province.
The official Xinhua News Agency reported that an initial police investigation showed that the blaze was triggered by fireworks ignited during the show.
Many partygoers were hurt in a stampede to escape down "a narrow aisle," a club staff member was quoted by the agency as saying.
Fires and accidents in bars, theaters and other public places are common in China despite government pledges to improve safety. Many are caused by negligence and lax safety procedures, such as a lack of fire extinguishers and emergency exits.
In China's worst recent nightclub disaster, a fire blamed on a welding accident tore through a disco in the central city of Luoyang in December 2000, killing 309 people.
(c) 2008 Deseret News (Salt Lake City). Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.