Sudanese Military Kills Six Kidnappers
Sudanese forces have shot and killed six of the kidnappers who abducted a group of European tourists in Egypt last week, officials said.
Two other suspected kidnappers have been taken into custody, while the tourists remain in captivity in Chad, the BBC reported Sunday.
The hostages include five Germans, five Italians and a Romanian. Their guides were Egyptian, the British news service reported.
A Sudanese military spokesman said the Europeans were abducted in southwestern Egypt, but were thought to have been taken first to Sudan and then to Chad.
The kidnappers were killed following a high-speed desert chase, said Sawarmy Khaled, a spokesman for the Sudanese military.
The kidnappers have demanded an $8.8 million ransom.