October 1, 2008
Building Fire Kills 15 in Japan
An early Wednesday fire in a first-floor video-viewing shop in a seven-story building in Osaka, Japan, killed 15 people and injured 10 more, authorities said.
All those killed were men who suffered carbon monoxide poisoning or inhalation burns, Kyodo news service reported.
One customer who escaped the blaze was quoted as saying the building's layout "is so complicated that customers who visited here for the first time may have found it difficult to escape."
Authorities said they suspect the fire, which broke out before 3 a.m. and was extinguished within a half-hour, started in one of the rooms on the first floor. They were questioning the room's customer.
Such inexpensive video-watching businesses in Japan have become common in Japan, often catering to working people who need to stay overnight to avoid long commutes.