November 3, 2008
British FM Hints at More Troops in Congo
British Foreign Minister David Miliband said Monday his country may send troops to the Democratic Republic of the Congo to serve as peacekeepers.
As Miliband hinted at the possible reinforcement of U.N. peacekeepers stationed in the Congo, the Congolese government rejected a call for peace negotiations from rebel forces, The Times of London reported Monday.
"We have not ruled anything out. It is possible," Miliband said in regard to moving British troops to the Congo.
Rebel forces had threatened to extend the conflict with Congolese troops if government officials did not agree to a demand for peace talks.
While that demand was rejected by government officials, U.N. peacekeepers began delivering emergency aid supplies behind rebel lines Monday.
A U.N. convoy, protected by peacekeeping troops, delivered water-purification tablets and medical supplies to the town of Rushturu, The Times reported.
The newspaper said sites such as Rushturu had previously been looted by government troops retreating from advancing rebel forces.