Hungary bomb threats not linked to London-PM
BUDAPEST (Reuters) – Three large Budapest shopping centers
were evacuated on Thursday due to bomb threats but there was no
link to suspected terror attacks in London, Prime Minister
Ferenc Gyurcsany said.
“We have not found any indication of a link between the
London and Budapest events,” Gyurcsany told a news conference.
He gave no details.
Bomb threats have been frequent in Budapest in recent
years, but so far all have proved to be hoaxes.
Interior minister Monika Lamperth said police received a
phone call at 0720 GMT from a public payphone informing that
bombs would go off at the shopping centers at 1400 GMT,
prompting officials to order evacuation of the buildings.
Police were searching the centers while hundreds of people
patiently waited outside for an all-clear to go back in.
Gyurcsany said he had ordered heightened security at
Hungary’s airports, railway stations and embassies in the wake
of the London attacks, which he called “a heinous crime.”