November 2, 2005

10 killed in Ethiopia, special forces in capital

By David Mageria

ADDIS ABABA (Reuters) - Ten people were killed in a second
day of clashes in the Ethiopian capital on Wednesday, hospital
officials said, as police confronted stone-throwing youths in
the worst anti-government protests in months.

Security forces fired teargas and shot in the air to
scatter hundreds of demonstrators who formed makeshift
barricades, hurled rocks and smashed windscreens in central
Addis Ababa in protest against a May poll the opposition says
was rigged.

Special forces backed by four armored personnel carriers
deployed in the volatile Mercato area, where Tuesday's violence
occurred, and sealed it off from the rest of the city.

"We have received today six dead and 17 wounded," a source
at the Black Lion hospital told reporters.

"We have four dead," Shimelis Woldemichael, assistant
medical director at St Paul's Hospital, told Reuters. On
Tuesday, eight people were killed in the violence.

A Reuters reporter saw police round up dozens of people and
bundle them into two pickup trucks.

"We are protesting because the government stole the
election. People are angry because the police are very cruel,"
said Ghebremichael Ayele, dragging pieces of wood to block a
road leading to the capital's biggest hospital.

Six protesters and two policemen were killed in Tuesday's
violence, which erupted three days after the main opposition
group, the Coalition for Democracy and Unity (CUD), called for
fresh protests.

In the hours after Tuesday's clashes security forces
arrested the CUD leadership, saying it orchestrated the
violence, widely seen as evidence of persistent political
tensions in sub-Saharan Africa's second most populous nation.


Political troubles in Africa's top coffee grower have
worsened since Ethiopia's second real multi-party vote handed
Prime Minister Meles Zenawi a third five-year term in power,
despite a massive swing to the opposition.

In June post-election clashes killed 36 people in Addis
Ababa, an opposition stronghold, in the capital's worst
violence since bloody but short-lived student riots in 2001.

Foreign observers broadly endorsed the official results,
but noted some irregularities in the election.

Once feted by Western leaders as part of a "new generation"
of African leaders pursuing pluralism and clean government,
Meles' democratic credentials have come under growing scrutiny
over the election wrangling and his crackdown on civil unrest.

Meles has repeatedly accused the opposition of plotting to
incite violence and topple his government. He says he will not
accept any threat to security in the country of 77 million.

Merera Gudina, first vice-chairman of a smaller opposition
party, the United Ethiopian Democratic Forces (UEDF),
criticized the government's strong-arm tactics.

"The government used excessive force," he told Reuters. "We
are sitting on a time bomb. It exploded yesterday. It could
explode again a week later or a month later."

At the hospital, a relative of one of the dead, Dawit
Tesfaye, said: "The problem we have is that he (Meles) wants to
stay in power by force. That's why they are killing my family."

Information Minister Berhanu Hailu played down the

"The violent situation is continuing in some parts of the
city, but it's not a big challenge to the government," he told
reporters, blaming the CUD for instigating Tuesday's clashes.

CUD officials were not immediately available for comment.

The political deadlock in Ethiopia prompted the European
Parliament to warn last month of possible cuts in development
aid to the donor-dependent country unless there was an end to
the "persecution and intimidation" of opposition groups.