May 12, 2006
Four wanted for Dahab blasts surrender to police
EL-ARISH, Egypt (Reuters) - Four men wanted in connection
with bombings that killed 20 people in the Sinai resort of
Dahab last month have turned themselves in, security sources
said on Friday.
The surrenders came shortly after police killed Nasr Khamis
el-Milahi, a man the Interior Ministry named as the leader of a
group it blames for a series of attacks in Sinai since October
2004, and the arrest of his assistant in a gunbattle on
Naif Ibrahim Saleh Ameira, Abdel Gadr Suweilim Suleiman, Ismail
Salama Ouda Hussein, and Hatem Musellem Rasheed el-Atrash," a
security official who declined to be named said.
Security sources had previously said el-Atrash had been
The men were part of a group of 25 wanted people, including
farmers and religious leaders, security sources said, adding
some of the group were being sought in connection with bombings
in Taba and other nearby resorts in 2004.
The security official added that el-Milahi's assistant,
Abdullah Alyan Abu Jarir, had given them new leads and names of
suspects not on the list of 25 since his arrest on Tuesday.
Authorities have blamed a group called Tawhid wal Jihad
(One God and Jihad) for a series of attacks in Sinai since
October 2004, and say that 15 of its members are currently on
They describe it as a group of Sinai Bedouin with militant
Islamist views, though the group itself has never issued a
statement or claimed responsibility for attacks.
Excluding el-Milahi, six wanted men have been killed in the
last two weeks in gunfights in northern Sinai. Men identified
by the authorities as members of the group have come mainly
from El Arish, a poor town on the Mediterranean coast in