August 19, 2006
Police detain suspect in July bomb plot: report
BERLIN (Reuters) - German security forces have taken into
custody a suspect linked to last month's failed plot to explode
bombs on German trains, a newspaper reported on Saturday.
In a preview of an article to appear in Bild am Sonntag on
Sunday, the paper cited security sources as saying one of two
suspects in the case had been seized in the northern city of
Kiel and was being questioned by police.
down for five hours. Police said the move was linked to the
investigation into two bombs that were discovered in abandoned
suitcases on trains in Dortmund and Koblenz last month.
Police declined to comment on whether a suspect had been
seized and said a statement on the matter was expected later on
Saturday from the federal prosecutor's office in Karlsruhe.
Police in Kiel said they would hold a news conference at 5
p.m. (1500 GMT).
Police said on Friday they were looking for two male
suspects who were caught by video cameras boarding the trains
with the suitcases in Cologne.
They have said the bombs may have been part of a terrorist
plot designed to show anger over the Middle East crisis.
The bombs were fitted with timers set to go off 10 minutes
before the trains arrived in the two cities, police said. The
explosives had been ignited but failed to detonate.