International News Archive - October 15, 2008
Syria's move to establish formal diplomatic ties with Lebanon marks a new era in the countries' long-troubled relationship, observers say.
A Turkish Airlines plane from Antalya, Turkey, continued Wednesday to its destination in Russia after a hijacking attempt failed, airline officials said.
Hurricane warnings were posted Wednesday for several islands in the Eastern Caribbean Sea as Hurricane Omar strengthened, U.S. forecasters said. A hurricane warning was in effect for St. Martin, Saba, St. Eustatius, St. Barthelemy, the U.S. and British Virgin Islands, Anguilla, St.
Coalition forces killed al-Qaida in Iraq's second-in-command during an operation earlier in October in Mosul, the U.S. military command announced Wednesday. Abu Qaswarah, known as Abu Sara, who was killed during an Oct.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police are investigating a bomb blast that targeted a natural gas pipeline in northeastern British Columbia.
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.