International News Archive - November 07, 2008
By Jim Michaels WASHINGTON -- Afghanistan's government has stepped up efforts to win the cooperation of tribal leaders to try to build security at the village level and fend off the Taliban.
Mo Dede sits in his small office flanked by fields of kidney beans and a poster of Mao Zedong on the wall that "brings me luck," he says.
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.