International News Archive - October 26, 2010
A powerful earthquake that hit 48 miles west of South Pagai in the Mentawai islands late Monday touched off a tsunami that wiped out the coastal Indonesian village of Betu Monga, where many residents are missing and feared dead, officials said on Tuesday.
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.