International News Archive - April 16, 2010
European air travel was in a state of chaos early Friday morning, as the continued eruption of ash from a volcano in Iceland has forced airports across the continent and in the UK to close.
Word of the Day
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.
'Siliqua' comes from a Latin word meaning 'a pod.'