International News Archive - January 04, 2013
According to data released by England’s meteorological agency the Met Office, 2012 was the second wettest year on record for the U.K., with total rainfall at 52.4 inches.
The amount of rainfall affects the number of infant infections leading to hydrocephalus in Uganda, according to a team of researchers who are the first to demonstrate that these brain infections are linked to climate.
Those screen manufacturers who have been previously convicted of price-fixing have now met justice in China. LG, Samsung and 4 other Taiwanese companies have been fined a total of $56 million.
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.