August 3, 2008
Girl Who Fell 14 Storeys Down Chimney Saved By Ash
NEWS IN BRIEF :: NEW YORK
A 12-year-old girl who fell into a chimney on her New York rooftop and plummeted down the flue for 14 storeys survived almost unscathed when she landed in a pile of soot. Grace Bergere was recovering in hospital yesterday with an injured hip. A two-foot pile of ash and dust in the basement furnace cushioned her fall and may have saved her life. Rescuers did not expect to find the girl alive, but spotted her soot-caked hand reaching out for help. When she emerged, she was completely covered in black, with only her eyes and mouth visible.
(c) 2008 Independent on Sunday, The. Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning. All rights Reserved.