Quantcast

Man ignites home while blowtorch thawing

December 23, 2008

Firefighters say a Massachusetts man accidentally set fire to his home while attempting to melt ice on his back porch with a blowtorch.

Fire Capt. Scott Kruger said the New Bedford home incurred $20,000-$30,000 worth of damage during the Monday afternoon fire, but all inside were able to escape safely after being warned by smoke detectors, the New Bedford Standard-Times reported Tuesday.

Kruger said it took the 25 firefighters who responded to the blaze about 30 minutes to extinguish the flames. He said no charges are expected against the homeowner.

This is an example of how you should not use a cutting torch to thaw out frozen water pipes or anything else, he said. When you have wood framing, it will cause a fire.


Source: upi



comments powered by Disqus