February 3, 2009
Confused man rescued from chimney
Firefighters in Vermont disassembled a chimney on the roof of a building to free a man who said he could not remember how he became stuck, witnesses said.
Burlington residents said police and firefighters arrived at the building early Sunday after reports of cries for help coming from the roof and the rescuers discovered a man stuck inside the chimney, WPTZ-TV, Plattsburgh, N.Y., reported Tuesday.Kathryn Rohrer, who lives in an apartment across the alley, said she heard muffled yells early Sunday.
I really didn't think anything of it until I literally heard someone responding back, and then, you turn off the TV and realize there is someone saying help, Rohrer said.
When firefighters got to the roof, they say they could see the man's arm sticking out of the chimney. They said they tried to get him out with a rope but that didn't work. So, they had to take this thing apart brick by brick, and even a day later, you still can see there's quite a bit of damage here to the roof.
Fire officials said the man, who has not been charged with a crime, does not live in the building and told rescuers that he had been drinking with his brother the previous evening and could not remember how he ended up lodged inside the chimney.
The man was taken to Fletcher Allen Health Care to have his injuries evaluated and treated.